Dr Sarah S. Staniland
Reader in Bionanoscience
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 9539
|Staniland Group Website|
Dr. Sarah Staniland obtained her MChem degree at the University of Edinburgh in 2001. This was followed by a PhD in magnetic materials (dept. Chemistry, Edinburgh) which she completed in 2005. After this she won an independent EPSRC life science interface fellowship (2005-2008) at the University of Edinburgh where she initiated the research she is currently active in. This helped her transition from the chemical material sciences to interdisciplinary work at the interface with biology. She then moved to the University of Leeds to take up a Lectureship in Bionanoscience in the School of Physics and Astronomy where she was promoted to Associate Professor (2008-2013). She moved to Sheffield as a Senior Lecturer in Bionanoscience in 2013, and was promoted to Reader in 2017.
Biomimetic, Biomineralisation, Magnetic nanoparticles, nanomagnetism, Protein mediated inorganic synthesis, magnetite, Magnetic bacteria, magnetosomes, liposomes, polymersomes, membrane proteins, surface arrays.
Maths, Bioinorganic chemistry.
Our group seeks to synthesis novel precise bio/mineral nanomaterial architectures for nanotechnological and biomedical applications. Inspired by nature, we are using functional proteins such as biomineralisation proteins and lipid membrane to create hybrid functional nanomaterial and arrays. The main interest is the formation of membrane surrounded magnetite nanoparticles. These are biomineralised in nature within magnetic bacteria and are termed magnetosomes. Currently we are working on a number of projects such as:
The research is intrinsically multi-disciplinary, spanning: magnetic characterisation, chemical synthesis, nanotechnological engineering, proteomics, genetics, environmental, and micro-biology.
Undergraduate and postgraduate taught modules
- Tanaka M, Suwatthanarak T, Arakaki A, Johnson BRG, Evans SD, Okochi M, Staniland SS & Matsunaga T (2018) Enhanced Tubulation of Liposome Containing Cardiolipin by MamY Protein from Magnetotactic Bacteria. Biotechnology Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Trubitsyn D, Abreu F, Ward FB, Taylor T, Hattori M, Kondo S, Trivedi U, Staniland S, Lins U & Bazylinski DA (2016) Draft Genome Sequence of Magnetovibrio blakemorei Strain MV-1, a Marine Vibrioid Magnetotactic Bacterium. Genome Announcements, 4(6), e01330-16-e01330-16. View this article in WRRO
- Bakhshi PK, Bain J, Gul MO, Stride E, Edirisinghe M & Staniland SS (2016) Manufacturing Man-Made Magnetosomes: High-Throughput In Situ Synthesis of Biomimetic Magnetite Loaded Nanovesicles. Macromolecular Bioscience, 16(11), 1555-1561. View this article in WRRO
- Tanaka M, Knowles W, Brown R, Hondow N, Arakaki A, Baldwin S, Staniland S & Matsunaga T (2016) Biomagnetic recovery of selenium: Bioaccumulating of selenium granules in magnetotactic bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 82(13), 3886-3891. View this article in WRRO
- Staniland SS & Rawlings AE (2016) Crystallizing the function of the magnetosome membrane mineralization protein Mms6. Biochemical Society Transactions, 44(3), 883-890. View this article in WRRO
- Galloway JM, Bird SM, Talbot JE, Shepley PM, Bradley RC, El-Zubir O, Allwood DA, Leggett GJ, Miles JJ, Staniland SS & Critchley K (2016) Nano- and micro-patterning biotemplated magnetic CoPt arrays. Nanoscale, 8(22), 11738-11747. View this article in WRRO
- Rawlings AE, Bramble JP, Hounslow AM, Williamson MP, Monnington AE, Cooke DJ & Staniland SS (2016) Ferrous Iron Binding Key to Mms6 Magnetite Biomineralisation: A Mechanistic Study to Understand Magnetite Formation Using pH Titration and NMR Spectroscopy. Chemistry - A European Journal, 22(23), 7885-7894. View this article in WRRO
- Bird SM, Rawlings AE, Galloway JM & Staniland SS (2016) Using a biomimetic membrane surface experiment to investigate the activity of the magnetite biomineralisation protein Mms6. RSC Advances, 6(9), 7356-7363. View this article in WRRO
- Bird SM, El-Zubir O, Rawlings AE, Leggett GJ & Staniland SS (2016) A novel design strategy for nanoparticles on nanopatterns: interferometric lithographic patterning of Mms6 biotemplated magnetic nanoparticles. Journal of Materials Chemistry C, 4(18), 3948-3955. View this article in WRRO
- Bain J, Berry M, Dirks C & Staniland S (2015) Synthesis of ABA Tri-Block Co-Polymer Magnetopolymersomes via Electroporation for Potential Medical Application. Polymers, 7(12), 2558-2571. View this article in WRRO
- Staniland SS, Rawlings A, Bramble J, Tolosa J, Wilson O, Garcia‐Martinez JC & Binns C (2015) ChemInform Abstract: Novel Methods for the Synthesis of Magnetic Nanoparticles. ChemInform, 46(49), no-no.
- Bain J, Ruiz-Pérez L, Kennerley AJ, Muench SP, Thompson R, Battaglia G & Staniland SS (2015) In situ formation of magnetopolymersomes via electroporation for MRI. Scientific Reports, 5. View this article in WRRO
- Rawlings AE, Bramble JP, Tang AAS, Somner LA, Monnington AE, Cooke DJ, McPherson MJ, Tomlinson DC & Staniland SS (2015) Phage display selected magnetite interacting Adhirons for shape controlled nanoparticle synthesis. Chem. Sci., 6(10), 5586-5594. View this article in WRRO
- Bird SM, Galloway JM, Rawlings AE, Bramble JP & Staniland SS (2015) Taking a hard line with biotemplating: cobalt-doped magnetite magnetic nanoparticle arrays. Nanoscale, 7(16), 7340-7351. View this article in WRRO
- Bain J & Staniland SS (2015) Bioinspired nanoreactors for the biomineralisation of metallic-based nanoparticles for nanomedicine. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 17(24), 15508-15521. View this article in WRRO
- Rawlings AE, Bramble JP, Walker R, Bain J, Galloway JM & Staniland SS (2014) Self-assembled MmsF proteinosomes control magnetite nanoparticle formation in vitro. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 111(45), 16094-16099. View this article in WRRO
- Staniland S (2014) Nanoparticle biosynthesis: An accommodating host. Nature Nanotechnology, 9(3), 163-164.
- Galloway JM, Bramble JP & Staniland SS (2013) Biomimetic synthesis of materials for technology. Chemistry - A European Journal, 19(27), 8710-8725.
- Rawlings AE, Bramble JP & Staniland SS (2013) Reply to the 'Comment on "innovation through imitation: Biomimetic, bioinspired and biokleptic research"' by M. Drack and I. C. Gebeshuber, Soft Matter, 2013, 9, DOI: 10.1039/c2sm26722e. Soft Matter, 9(7), 2341-2342.
- Galloway JM & Staniland SS (2012) Protein and peptide biotemplated metal and metal oxide nanoparticles and their patterning onto surfaces. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 22(25), 12423-12434.
- Rawlings AE, Bramble JP & Staniland SS (2012) Innovation through imitation: Biomimetic, bioinspired and biokleptic research. Soft Matter, 8(25), 6675-6679.
- Tanaka M, Brown R, Hondow N, Arakaki A, Matsunaga T & Staniland S (2012) Highest levels of Cu, Mn and Co doped into nanomagnetic magnetosomes through optimized biomineralisation. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 22(24), 11919-11921.
- Tanaka M, Critchley K, Matsunaga T, Evans SD & Staniland SS (2012) Fabrication of lipid tubules with embedded quantum dots by membrane tubulation protein. Small, 8(10), 1590-1595.
- Galloway JM, Bramble JP, Rawlings AE, Burnell G, Evans SD & Staniland SS (2012) Nanomagnetic arrays formed with the biomineralization protein Mms6. Journal of Nano Research, 17, 127-146.
- Galloway JM, Bramble JP, Rawlings AE, Burnell G, Evans SD & Staniland SS (2012) Biotemplated magnetic nanoparticle arrays. Small, 8(2), 204-208.
- Aljabali AAA, Barclay JE, Cespedes O, Rashid A, Staniland SS, Lomonossoff GP & Evans DJ (2011) Charge modified cowpea mosaic virus particles for templated mineralization. Advanced Functional Materials, 21(21), 4137-4142.
- Galloway JM, Arakaki A, Masuda F, Tanaka T, Matsunaga T & Staniland SS (2011) Magnetic bacterial protein Mms6 controls morphology, crystallinity and magnetism of cobalt-doped magnetite nanoparticles in vitro. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 21(39), 15244-15254.
- Moisescu C, Bonneville S, Staniland S, Ardelean I & Benning LG (2011) Iron uptake kinetics and magnetosome formation by magnetospirillum gryphiswaldense as a function of pH, temperature and dissolved iron availability. Geomicrobiology Journal, 28(7), 590-600.
- Tanaka M, Arakaki A, Staniland SS & Matsunaga T (2010) Simultaneously discrete biomineralization of magnetite and tellurium nanocrystals in magnetotactic bacteria. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 76(16), 5526-5532.
- Staniland SS, Moisescu C & Benning LG (2010) Cell division in magnetotactic bacteria splits magnetosome chain in half. Journal of Basic Microbiology, 50(4), 392-396.
- Maganas D, Grigoropoulos A, Staniland SS, Chatziefthimiou SD, Harrison A, Robertson N, Kyritsis P & Neese F (2010) Tetrahedral and square planar Ni[(SPR
2) 2N] 2complexes, R = Ph &iPr revisited: Experimental and theoretical analysis of interconversion pathways, structural preferences, and spin delocalization. Inorganic Chemistry, 49(11), 5079-5093.
- Staniland S, Coppock M, Tuffin M, van Zyl L, Roychoudhury AN & Cowan D (2010) Cobalt uptake and resistance to trace metals in comamonas testosteroni isolated from a heavy-metal contaminated site in the Zambian Copperbelt. Geomicrobiology Journal, 27(8), 656-668.
- Roychoudhury AN, Staniland S, Tuffin M & Cowan D (2009) Cobalt uptake and resistance to trace metals in Comamonas testosteroni isolated from heavy-metal contaminated sites in the Zambian Copperbelt. GEOCHIMICA ET COSMOCHIMICA ACTA, 73(13), A1127-A1127.
- Awaga K, Umezono Y, Fujita W, Yoshikawa H, Cui HB, Kobayashi H, Staniland SS & Robertson N (2008) Diverse magnetic and electrical properties of molecular solids containing the thiazyl radical BDTA. Inorganica Chimica Acta, 361(14-15), 3761-3770.
- Staniland S, Williams W, Telling N, Van Der Laan G, Harrison A & Ward B (2008) Controlled cobalt doping of magnetosomes in vivo. Nature Nanotechnology, 3(3), 158-162.
- Staniland S, Ward B, Harrison A, Van Der Laan G & Telling N (2007) Rapid magnetosome formation shown by real-time x-ray magnetic circular dichroism. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 104(49), 19524-19528.
- Amemiya Y, Arakaki A, Staniland SS, Tanaka T & Matsunaga T (2007) Controlled formation of magnetite crystal by partial oxidation of ferrous hydroxide in the presence of recombinant magnetotactic bacterial protein Mms6. Biomaterials, 28(35), 5381-5389.
- Staniland SS, Harrison A, Robertson N, Kamenev KV & Parsons S (2006) Structural and magnetic properties of [BDTA]
2[MCl 4] [M = Cu (1), Co (2), and Mn (3)], revealing an S = 1/2 square-lattice antiferromagnet with weak magnetic exchange. Inorganic Chemistry, 45(15), 5767-5773.
- Staniland SS, Fujita W, Umezono Y, Awaga K, Crawford S, Parsons S & Robertson N (2006) Synthesis, structure, and magnetic properties of [dithiazolylium]
x[M(tdas) 2] salts. Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, 452(1), 123-135.
- Maganas D, Staniland SS, Grigoropoulos A, White F, Parsons S, Robertson N, Kyritsis P & Pneumatikakis G (2006) Structural, spectroscopic and magnetic properties of M[R
2P(E)NP(E)R′ 2] 2complexes, M = Co, Mn, e = S, Se and R, R′ = Ph or iPr. Covalency of M-S bonds from experimental data and theoretical calculations. Dalton Transactions(19), 2301-2315.
- Staniland SS, Fujita W, Umezono Y, Awaga K, Clark SJ, Cui HB, Kobayashi H & Robertson N (2005) A unique new multiband molecular conductor: [BDTA][Ni(dmit)
2] 2. Chemical Communications(25), 3204-3206.
- Staniland SS, Fujita W, Umezono Y, Awaga K, Camp PJ, Clark SJ & Robertson N (2005) [BDTA](2)[Cu(mnt)(2)]: An almost perfect one-dimensional magnetic material. INORGANIC CHEMISTRY, 44(3), 546-551.
- Staniland SS, Fujita W, Umezono Y, Awaga K, Camp PJ, Clark SJ & Robertson N (2005) [BDTA]
2[Cu(mnt) 2]: An almost perfect one-dimensional magnetic material. Inorganic Chemistry, 44(3), 546-551.
- Rawlings AE, Jarrald RM, Somner LA & Staniland SS (2018) Protein and Peptide-Mediated Synthesis of Magnetic Nanoparticles and Arrays for Biomedicine and Future Data Storage, Biological Magnetic Materials and Applications (pp. 95-133).
- Rawlings A, Staniland S, Bramble J, Tolosa J, Wilson O, Garcia-martinez J & Binns C (2014) Novel methods for the synthesis of magnetic nanoparticles In Binns C (Ed.), Nanomagnetism: Fundamentals and Applications Elsevier
- Staniland SS (2011) Magnetosomes: Bacterial Biosynthesis of Magnetic Nanoparticles and Potential Biomedical Applications, Nanotechnologies for the Life Sciences
- Staniland S (2009) Biomineralisation of magnetite nanoparticles by microbes In Liang L, Rinaldi R & Schober H (Ed.), Neutron Applications in Earth, Energy, and Environmental Sciences (pp. 595-619). Springer
Conference proceedings papers
- Jarrald R, Rawlings A, Tanaka M, Okochi M, Leggett G & Staniland S (2018) Production of magnetic nanoparticle arrays on surfaces from solution using top-down patterning and bottom-up biotemplating for future nanodevices. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY, Vol. 256
- AL-Janabi H, Conner J, Taher Z, Staniland S & Muthana M (2018) Breast cancer immunotherapy using magnetised oncolytic viruses. European Journal of Cancer, Vol. 92 (pp s4)
- Galloway JM, Bird SM, Bramble JP, Critchley K & Staniland SS (2013) Biotemplating Magnetic Nanoparticles on Patterned Surfaces for Potential Use in Data Storage. MRS Advances, Vol. 1569