Connecting to Virtual Private Network (VPN) on Android
Due to a bug affecting some Android devices, you may need to install an alternative VPN client to connect. This is known to affect some Nexus phones, alternative instructions are provided below.
- Go to Settings
- Under Wireless and Networks choose VPN
- Select Add VPN Network
- Enter a name for the connection, eg. Sheff uni VPN
- For Type choose IPSec Xauth PSK
- In Server Address enter vpn.shef.ac.uk
- In IPSec identifier enter the Group Authentication Username: unishef
- In IPSec preshared key enter the Group Authentication Password: unishef
- Click Save.
- Install the strongSwan VPN Client from the Play Store
- Run the app
- Select Add VPN Profile
- In Server enter vpn.shef.ac.uk
- Chose IKEv2 EAP for VPN type
- Under Username enter your University username
- Under Password enter your remote access password
- Press Save
- Select the new vpn.shef.ac.uk entry to connect, press OK if prompted
Any time you wish to connect to VPN go to Settings, Wireless and Networks and choose the VPN connection, enter your University username and VPN password, and you'll be connected to the VPN.
If you don't know your Remote Access password you can request a new one by clicking the link below:
Computer account management