Connecting your Mac to University Filestore from home
To connect your Mac to your personal or shared filestore from home or off campus, you will need to take some extra steps and have your VPN or RATS password to hand.
1. Create a new Network location:
- Go to System Preferences
- Go to Network
- Click on the drop down box next to Location
- Click on Edit Locations
- Click on the + and type in a name for your new location
- Click on Done
2. You will now need to set up your wireless or wired network
- Connect to the wireless or wired network where you are as normal - you may need your network password
3. Add the WINS settings to your wifi connection
- Click on your network connection on the left hand side of the Network window
- Click on the "Advanced" button
- Click on "WINS"
- Click the + button to add a WINS server - 18.104.22.168
- Click the + button to add a second WINS server - 22.214.171.124
- Click "OK"
- Click "Apply"
4. Set up your VPN connections in this location
- If you are using WiFi you will need to turn it off and on again
- Set up your VPN connection again using these instructions
5. Connect to your filestore
- From the Finder menu bar, click on Go.
- Choose Connect to server
- The Connect to server window will appear.
- In the Server Address box type smb:// followed by your server name, and the area you want to access e.g. smb://ladybower/usr42/
- Click the + to add it to your list of Favourite servers so you won't have to remember it.
- Click Connect.
- In the login window select Registered user
- Enter your university username and password, then click Connect.
- Your filestore will now appear in a new Finder window
If connecting using SMB://server/share then use CIFS://server/share.