University Website project
The project will research and prototype a new external facing website. After an initial focus on student recruitment, the project scope will broaden to the procurement, development and implementation of a new University-wide Content Management System (CMS)
Project Manager: Charlotte Ediker
Project Sponsor: Steve Thompson
Why are we doing the project?
The University website and broader digital estate is key to the reputation and visitor experience of the University of Sheffield. It is the primary channel for many initial interactions with the University and decision-making about which university to apply and attend or to collaborate with, such as:
- prospective students looking for course information
- booking events such as on an open day
- making an application
- potential partner, alumni or donor wishing to work with us or evidence impact.
The current website technology (polopoly) is no longer meeting the needs of internal and external users. The site can be hard to navigate and to find critical decision-making information for audiences such as prospective students.
How will the project benefit the University?
The website is one of the main places that prospective students find information and forms part of their decision making process. Enhancing the experience for this audience is expected to help provide a positive picture of the University and positively influence decision making.
Additionally , other benefits include:
- a better experience of the University for website visitors,
- a more manageable and sustainable website estate,
- consistent messaging across the website,
- a more modern platform providing future proofing,
- reduced risk to cyber security and GDPR compliance.
- Project Start Date: August 2018
- Pilot Sites Live: April 2019
- Target Soft Launch of new CMS: December 2019
- All external facing content migrated to new website or retired: December 2020
- Estimated completed date for Phase 1 (External Facing Content): Dec 2020