Service Strategy Board
The Service Strategy Board (SSB) is a key part of the CiCS management structure (alongside the Executive and the functional management structure, i.e. Sections, Section Heads and line managers).
Additional information and documentation can be found at the CiCS SSB Site.
The SSB is responsible for:
- oversight of the overall service delivered by CiCS to ensure that its strategic direction aligns with, and informs, the aims and priorities of the University
- oversight of projects and all other developments
- co-ordination between the different service areas; to monitor performance, seek improvement and prioritise development
The Executive is responsible for expressing the vision and overall mission of the department, and with the support of the Section Heads set the values and ‘tone’ of the department. Operationally, Section Heads are responsible for the implementation of the service strategy agreed by the board, managing resources efficiently and making strategic recommendations to the SSB as appropriate.
The main focus of the SSB will be on services and will aim to improve (speed up, reduce complexity, increase efficiency) planning and decision-making through a single table approach to all decisions made about the services CiCS provide.
The board will:
- oversee (the planning, design and development of) all services provided by the department
- agree, prioritise and allocate resource to the whole CiCS development portfolio – whether under the aegis of formal project management or not
- contribute to the long term vision and strategy of the department by developing and agree a CiCS Service Strategy; receive and approve long term strategic plans from each of the service areas (via Service Manager and Service Advisory Group (SAG))
- take regular reports from, oversee and support projects and other developments
- oversee and agree service levels, monitor performance of services, review and agree improvement of services
- receive and approve policy/strategy for service management processes such as change management, incident management etc.
The board will consist of the Director (1), Assistant Directors (3), Service Managers (7) and the Development Portfolio Manager (1). The Director will be Chair of the SSB. Other members may be co-opted at the discretion of the Chair.
Operation of the SSB will be as follows:
- The SSB will meet monthly, usually on the second Monday of each month. Extra meetings are arranged as necessary (it may be important at first and at certain times of the year to meet twice each month). Where necessary, to aid timely decisions, documents may be circulated / discussion held outside the meetings (via uSpace)
- In the Absence of the Director the meeting will be chaired by one of the Assistant Directors
- The Agenda and working papers are normally made available 5 working days before the meeting. Service Managers will produce a monthly report and make them available in uSpace 5 working days before the monthly meeting.
- Where possible papers will be kept to a maximum of 2 pages (e.g an executive summary - with more detailed information available as an appendix). All papers should be read before the meeting and tabling of materials will be avoided where possible.
- Minutes of the discussion, decisions and actions of the board will be taken and approved by the Chair before distribution. These are issued as soon as possible to aid progress of actions and communication with the department. All papers, minutes and agendas will be held in the SSB group in uSpace, and once approved will be made more generally available via the SSB space in uSpace.
- The Development Portfolio Manager will act as secretary to the meeting.
- Meetings will have a structured (and cyclical) agenda to aid progress and ensure due consideration of all activities. These to include: