Connecting an iPhone or iPod Touch to the wireless network.
The wireless network at UK universities is called eduroam. To connect to eduroam you will need to provide your username and password. However, when typing in your username add the text @sheffield.ac.uk - this will allow you to connect at Sheffield but if you visit another University your device will automatically connect to eduroam there too!
Connecting to Eduroam
To connect to eduroam follow the steps below.
- From the Home page, tap Settings.
- In Settings, tap Wi-Fi.
- In Wi-FI Networks make sure the Wi-Fi slider is ON.
- Under Choose a Network... tap eduroam (anywhere but the right arrow).
- The Enter Password screen will appear. In the Username field type your username and in the Password field type your password.
- Tap the Join button.
- You will receive a Certificate screen with a certificate from eduroam.shef.ac.uk, tap Accept.
You should now be connected to eduroam. When in range your iPhone or iPod Touch should connect and authenticate automatically.
Most problems with connecting phones to the wireless network are related to passwords:
- If you have followed the instructions above and your phone does not connect, you may need to synchronise your passwords. Use the link below to log into the account management page and click the option to synchronise your passwords.
- Some people are still trying to use a second password (vpn, rats password) to connect to wireless. This will not work, use your normal University password.
If you still have trouble connecting, talk to any member of staff in the Information Commons or visit the Computing Centre. We will be happy to help.