Dr Jonathan A. Black
Senior Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5110
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
BEng (Hons), PhD, PGCert
Jonathan Black graduated from Queen's University Belfast with a BEng (Hons) degree in 2003. He then joined the Queen's Geotechnical Research Group and completed a PhD in 2007. During his doctorate studies he was appointed as a Lecturing Assistant in the School of Planning, Architecture and Civil Engineering for two years and was responsible for delivering modules in Geotechnics and Structures. Following a brief period as a lecturer at the University of Plymouth he then moved to the University of Sheffield in 2008 to take up his current position of Lecturer in Geotechnical Engineering.
Dr Black currently heads the group's research physical modelling activities and continues to develop non-intrusive modelling technique using transparent soil in conjunction with PIV. This technique is currently being employed to evaluate group interaction mechanics of vibrated stone column foundation and has previously been used to investigate soil displacement around driven/augured piles and helical screw piles.
Dr Black has a wide research interests in the areas of:
- Physical modelling of geotechnical problems
- Transparent soils and non-intrusive physical modelling
- Foundation engineering
- Soft ground remediation
- Soil structure interaction
- Partical Image Velocimetry (PIV) in physical modelling
- Development of advance testing systems
As Chair of Geotechnical Teaching for the Geotechnical Group he is responsible for the development of innovative teaching materials to enhance the student learning experience within geotechnical engineering. He is currently leading an internally funding project to redevelop learning and teaching of physical modelling by establishing a Soil Interaction Learning & Teaching Suite "SILTS". As an extension of this work he has also secured funding to support the refurbishment of the undergraduate teaching laboratory. Click for further information.
Activities and Distinctions
- Member of the Yorkshire Geotechnical Group Committee, Publicity Secretary.
- Chair of Geotechnical Teaching
- Laboratory Manager for Geotechnical Laboratories
- Journal Reviewer: Géotechnique; ICE Ground Engineering, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering; Canadian Geotechnical Journal and ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal.
- Recipient of a Geotechnical Trust Fund Award from the Geotechnical Society of Ireland 2003, 2004 and 2006
- Member for the Departmental Teaching Committee
- Member of the Industrial Liaison Committee
- Undergraduate Admissions Tutor
- 2010 – 2011: "Evaluation of ground displacements during press-in piling through non-intrusive physical modelling using transparent soil in conjunction with Particle Image Velocimetry". Funded by the International Press-in Association through the 3rd IPA Research Grant Award Scheme. Project Value $10,000.
- 2010: "Refurbishment of the Geotechnical Teaching Laboratory". Funding by University of Sheffield, Department of Civil & Structural Engineering. Project Value £22,500.
- 2009 – 2010: "SILTS – Soil Interaction Learning and Teaching Suite". Funding by University of Sheffield Alumni Fund. Project Value: £10,400. Link for further information.
- 2009 – 2012: "Group Mechanics of Vibrated Stone Column Foundations". Funded by EPSRC First Grant Scheme. Investigators: J.A. Black, in conjunction with Keller Ground Engineering (Dr. A.L. Bell) Project Value: £205,649. EPSRC grant number EP/G067260/1.
- 2009 - 2010: "Creep Settlement of Foundations Stabilised Using Vibrated Stone Columns". Funded by the University of Sheffield Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP), Office of Corporate Partnerships, KT Project Fund. Investigators: J.A. Black, in conjunction with Keller Ground Engineering (Dr. A.L. Bell) Project Value: £9,846.
- SMR for CIV4502 Advanced Geotechnics
- Sivakumar V, Glynn D, Cairns P & Black JA (2011) A new method of measuring plastic limit of ﬁne materials. Geotechnique, 1(61), 88-92. View this article in WRRO
- Sivakumar V, Boyd JL, Black JA & McNeil JA (2010) Effects of granular columns in compacted fills. Proceedings of the ICE - Geotechnical Engineering, 163, 189-196. View this article in WRRO
- Black JA, Sivakumar V, Madhav MR & Hamill GA (2007) Reinforced stone columns in weak deposits: Laboratory model study. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 133, 1154-1161. View this article in WRRO
- Black J, Sivakumar V & McKinley JD (2007) Performance of clay samples reinforced with vertical granular columns. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, 44(1), 89-95. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Black JA, Sivakumar V & Bell AL (2010) Performance and observations of model stone column foundations. Physical Modelling in Geotechnics - Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Physical Modelling in Geotechnics 2010, ICPMG 2010, Vol. 2 (pp 1315-1320) View this article in WRRO
- Black JA, Sivakumar V & Bell A (2010) Development of a large calibration triaxial cell with dual load actuator. Physical Modelling in Geotechnics - Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Physical Modelling in Geotechnics 2010 (pp 217-222). Zurich View this article in WRRO