Prof. Kypros Pilakoutas
Professor of Construction Innovation
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5065
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
BSc(Eng) University of London, ACGI Imperial College, DIC Imperial College, PhD University of London, DSc(Eng)
Prof. Kypros Pilakoutas is the Professor of Construction Innovation in the Department, the Manager of the Centre for Cement and Concrete and the Chairman of the Concrete Research Group. Prof Pilakoutas is the Departmental Commercialisation Champion and is a Director of two technology spin-out companies. His research is in the fields of structural concrete, FRP and fibre reinforcement, repair, construction innovation and earthquake engineering.
He has vast experience in managing European Research Networks and has had more than 10 EU grants. He has a large number of international contacts and leads or participates in several international committees in his research fields. He is currently co-ordinating the EU Marie Curie Network for Composites in Construction, En-Core (since 2005). The network includes 11 partners from 9 EU countries and works closely with Task Group 9.3 of the International Concrete Federation (fib) for the development of international design guidelines.
Prof Pilakoutas was recently awarded an EU FP6 grant of €1,700,000 to investigate "Economical and Sustainable Pavement Infrastructure for Surface Transport". This research project will develop infrastructure for surface transport using slip forming and roller compaction techniques based on existing asphalt laying equipment and steel fibre reinforced concrete. The benefits of the new construction concept will be manifold, such as to reduce construction costs by 10-20%, reduce construction time by 15%, reduce the energy consumption in road construction by 40%, minimise maintenance, use waste materials in road construction and make tyre recycling more economically attractive.
Prof Pilakoutas has experience in IP protection and exploitation. He has over 30 patents awarded worldwide. Two of his patents are commercially exploited worldwide. Two more patents applications have been made in the field of using wire from recycled tyres as reinforcement.
Activities and Distinctions
- In 2003, was awarded the title of Doctor Honoris Causa by the Technical University of Iasi.
- Visiting Professor at the Technical University of Iasi, Romania.
- In 1999, Prof. Pilakoutas was awarded the Diploma & Medal of the Technical University of Iasi.
- Scientific assessor for funding proposals for the EU 6&7FP, Italian Ministry of Science, Norway, USA and Hong Kong RGC.
- Invited member of several UK and International technical committees and networks, including several Fibre Reinforced Polymer (FRP) networks, the EU TRA EFCT, EU thematic network E-CORE and the TG 4.2 Bond Modelling of Concrete of fib (International Federation of Concrete).
- Convener of the FRP reinforcement group of TG 9.3 of fib.
- Coordinator of the EU TMR research network ConFibreCrete (10 institutions from 8 countries) and leader of International Round Robin Tests on FRP reinforcement.
- 2006-2009: "EU STREP project EcoLanes" funded by European Union FP6. Investigator: K Pilakoutas. Value: €1,700,000.
- 2006-2009: "Concrete Centre Lectureship" funded by Concrete Centre. Investigators: K Pilakoutas and M Guadagnini. Value: £75,000.
- 2005-2008: "EU Marie Curie RTN Network En-Core" funded by European Union FP6. Investigator: K Pilakoutas. Value: €1,700,000.
- 2005: "HEIF Proof of Concept" funded by The University of Sheffield. Investigator: K Pilakoutas. Value: £10,000.
- 2006: "Post-Doc Fellowship on Roller Compacted Concrete Pavements" funded by Aggregate Industries UK. Investigator: K Pilakoutas and P Waldron. Value: £25,000.
- 2004: "HEIF Development of a detailed business plan for commercialising University IPR in non-ferrous reinforcement through a manufacturing spin-off in South Yorkshire" funded by The University of Sheffield. Investigator: K Pilakoutas. Value: £9,000.
- 2004: "HEIF Knowledge Map of the Departments Commercial Activities" funded by The University of Sheffield. Investigator: K Pilakoutas. Value: £9,000.
- 2003-2005: "EU Craft Project Curved FRP" funded by European Union FP 5 GROWTH Programme. Investigators: K Pilakoutas. Value: €240,000.
- 2002-2004: "Shake table tests under the Ecoleader project" funded by European Union. Investigator: K Pilakoutas. Value: €300,000.
- 2002-2004: "EU Marie Curie Fellowship Cat 30" funded by European Union FP5. Investigators: K Pilakoutas and K Neocleous. Value: €107,472.
- 2002-2003: "EU Marie Curie Fellowship Cat 40" funded by European Union FP5. Investigators: K Pilakoutas and N Taranu. Value: €91,872.
- 2001-2003: "Demonstrating the use of tyre fibre in concrete" funded by DTI Partners in Innovation. Invesitgators: K Pilakoutas. Value: £144,000.
- 2001-2003: "EU Marie Curie Fellowship Cat 30" funded by European Union FP5. Investigator: K Pilakoutas and A Ciupala. Value: £66,997.
- Hu H, Papastergiou P, Angelakopoulos H, Guadagnini M & Pilakoutas K (2018) Mechanical properties of SFRC using blended manufactured and recycled tyre steel fibres. Construction and Building Materials, 163, 376-389. View this article in WRRO
- Raffoul S, Garcia R, Escolano Margarit D, Guadagnini M, Hajirasouliha I & Pilakoutas K (2017) Behaviour of unconfined and FRP-confined rubberised concrete in axial compression. Construction and Building Materials, 147, 388-397. View this article in WRRO
- Helal Y, Garcia, R, Pilakoutas K, Guadagnini M & Hajirasouliha I (2016) Bond of substandard laps in RC beams retrofitted with post-tensioned metal straps. ACI Structural Journal, 113(6), 1197-1208. View this article in WRRO
- Raffoul S, Garcia R, Pilakoutas K, Guadagnini M & Flores Medina N (2016) Optimisation of rubberised concrete with high rubber content: An experimental investigation. Construction and Building Materials(124), 391-404. View this article in WRRO
- Younis KH & Pilakoutas K (2016) Assessment of Post-Restrained Shrinkage Mechanical Properties of Concrete. ACI Materials Journal, 113(3), 267-276. View this article in WRRO
- Pešić N & Pilakoutas K (2015) Tensile stress-strain relaxation as a failure precursor for FRP-strengthened RC beams. Composite Structures, 125, 530-541.
- Serbescu A, Guadagnini M & Pilakoutas K (2015) Mechanical Characterization of Basalt FRP Rebars and Long-Term Strength Predictive Model. Journal of Composites for Construction, 19(2), 04014037-04014037.
- Jafarifar N, Pilakoutas K & Bennett T (2014) Moisture transport and drying shrinkage properties of steel–fibre-reinforced-concrete. Construction and Building Materials, 73, 41-50.
- Kyriakides N, Ahmad S, Pilakoutas K, Neocleous K & Chrysostomou C (2014) A probabilistic analytical seismic vulnerability assessment framework for substandard structures in developing countries. Earthquakes and Structures, 6(6), 665-687.
- (2014) Full-scale shaking table tests on a substandard rc building repaired and strengthened with post-tensioned metal straps. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 18(2), 187-213. View this article in WRRO
- Garcia R, Helal Y, Pilakoutas K & Guadagnini M (2014) Bond behaviour of substandard splices in RC beams externally confined with CFRP. Construction and Building Materials, 50, 340-351. View this article in WRRO
- Younis KH & Pilakoutas K (2013) Strength prediction model and methods for improving recycled aggregate concrete. Construction and Building Materials, 49, 688-701.
- Graeff AG, Pilakoutas K, Neocleous K & Peres MVNN (2012) Fatigue resistance and cracking mechanism of concrete pavements reinforced with recycled steel fibres recovered from post-consumer tyres. Engineering Structures, 45, 385-395.
- Garcia R, Hajirasouliha I & Pilakoutas K (2010) Seismic behaviour of deficient RC frames strengthened with CFRP composites. Engineering Structures, 32, 3075-3085. View this article in WRRO
- Guadagnini M, Pilakoutas K & Waldron P (2006) Shear resistance of FRP RC beams: Experimental study. Journal of Composites for Construction, 10(6), 464-473.
- Tlemat H, Pilakoutas K & Neocleous K (2006) Modelling of SFRC using inverse finite element analysis. Materials and Structures, 39(2), 221-233. View this article in WRRO
- Neocleous K, Pilakoutas K & Guadagnini M (2005) Failure-mode-hierarchy based design for reinforced concrete structures. Structural Concrete, 6(1), 23-32. View this article in WRRO
- Pesic N & Pilakoutas K (2005) Flexural analysis and design of reinforced concrete beams with externally bonded FRP reinforcement. Materials and Structures, 38(2), 183-192.
- Pilakoutas K & Li X (2003) Alternative shear reinforcement for reinforced concrete flat slabs. ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 129, 1164-1172.