Professor Kypros Pilakoutas
Professor of Construction Innovation
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5065
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
My work aims to make concrete more durable and environmentally friendly. This not only enhances structural performance but also helps to contribute to creating a circular economy.
Professor kypros pilakoutas
Kypros Pilakoutas (BSc (Eng), ACGI, DIC, PhD, DSc) is the Professor of Construction Innovation in the Department, the Managing Director of the Centre for Cement and Concrete and the Leader of the Concrete and Earthquake Research Group. He is also the Director of two technology spin-out companies.
He completed his BSc(Eng) in Civil Engineering (1984) and PhD (1990) in Earthquake Engineering at Imperial College London and worked in construction for two years. He joined the Department in 1991.
With over 30 years’ research experience and over 400 research publications, he focuses on structural concrete, FRP and fibre reinforcements, structural repair, construction innovation and earthquake engineering. His research aims to make concrete more durable and environmentally friendly by replacing some of the components used in its manufacture with recycled materials or those that require less energy to produce. Kypros has developed several new types of concrete reinforcing products, including:
- Fibre Reinforced Polymers (FRPs) made from glass and carbon (also used in sports and aerospace), as well as basalt fibres (made from stone), and metal straps (as used for packaging) for the seismic strengthening of buildings in seismic regions.
- A metal band-based shear reinforcing system for flat slabs.
- Rubber, steel wire and textile fibres from post-consumer tyres.
Kypros has many years’ experience in managing European Research projects and has successfully coordinated/co-investigated 10 EU funded collaborative projects, including:
- EU Marie- Curie ITN projects - Confibrecrete, En-Core and Endure
- FP6 STREP project ‘Economical and sustainable pavement infrastructure for surface Transport’ (EcoLanes - 2006-09: 11 partners from 6 European countries)
- FP7 project ‘Innovative use of all tyre components in concrete’ (Anagennisi – 2013-2017: 17 partners from 7 European countries).
He has coordinated or was co-investigator in over 40 national and international research projects and contracts for government and industry (of total value ~£20M), and he has supervised over 50 PhD projects. He sits on or leads numerous international committees in his field, reviews papers for top international journals, contributes to standardisation committees, chairs sessions and is invited to present keynote papers in the main conferences in his field. and advises foreign governments. He is a scientific assessor for the EU, US, EPSRC, Italian, Swiss, Canadian, Norwegian, Hong Kong, Portuguese, Greek and many other Research Councils and other funding bodies.
As an inventor (with many patents awarded and some pending), Kypros is an expert in Intellectual Property protection and exploitation. Two of his patents (on punching shear reinforcement and recycled tyre steel fibres) are commercially available worldwide.
Activities and Distinctions
- Doctor Honoris Causa (2003) by the Technical University of Iasi.
- Visiting Professor at the Technical University of Iasi, Romania
- Visiting Professor at the Technical University of Cyprus
- Visiting Professor at the University of Science and Culture in IRAN
- Diploma & Medal (1997) of the Technical University of Iasi
- Medal of the Technical University of Cyprus (2015)
- Hu H, Papastergiou P, Angelakopoulos H, Guadagnini M & Pilakoutas K (2018) Mechanical properties of SFRC using blended manufactured and recycled tyre steel fibres. Construction and Building Materials, 163, 376-389. View this article in WRRO
- Helal Y, Garcia, R, Pilakoutas K, Guadagnini M & Hajirasouliha I (2016) Bond of substandard laps in RC beams retrofitted with post-tensioned metal straps. ACI Structural Journal, 113(6), 1197-1208. View this article in WRRO
- Raffoul S, Garcia R, Pilakoutas K, Guadagnini M & Flores Medina N (2016) Optimisation of rubberised concrete with high rubber content: An experimental investigation. Construction and Building Materials, 124, 391-404. View this article in WRRO
- Younis KH & Pilakoutas K (2016) Assessment of Post-Restrained Shrinkage Mechanical Properties of Concrete. ACI Materials Journal, 113(3), 267-276. View this article in WRRO
- Pešić N & Pilakoutas K (2015) Tensile stress-strain relaxation as a failure precursor for FRP-strengthened RC beams. Composite Structures, 125, 530-541.
- Serbescu A, Guadagnini M & Pilakoutas K (2015) Mechanical Characterization of Basalt FRP Rebars and Long-Term Strength Predictive Model. Journal of Composites for Construction, 19(2), 04014037-04014037.
- Jafarifar N, Pilakoutas K & Bennett T (2014) Moisture transport and drying shrinkage properties of steel–fibre-reinforced-concrete. Construction and Building Materials, 73, 41-50.
- Kyriakides N, Ahmad S, Pilakoutas K, Neocleous K & Chrysostomou C (2014) A probabilistic analytical seismic vulnerability assessment framework for substandard structures in developing countries. Earthquakes and Structures, 6(6), 665-687.
- (2014) Full-scale shaking table tests on a substandard rc building repaired and strengthened with post-tensioned metal straps. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 18(2), 187-213. View this article in WRRO
- Garcia R, Helal Y, Pilakoutas K & Guadagnini M (2014) Bond behaviour of substandard splices in RC beams externally confined with CFRP. Construction and Building Materials, 50, 340-351. View this article in WRRO
- Younis KH & Pilakoutas K (2013) Strength prediction model and methods for improving recycled aggregate concrete. Construction and Building Materials, 49, 688-701.
- Graeff AG, Pilakoutas K, Neocleous K & Peres MVNN (2012) Fatigue resistance and cracking mechanism of concrete pavements reinforced with recycled steel fibres recovered from post-consumer tyres. Engineering Structures, 45, 385-395.
- Garcia R, Hajirasouliha I & Pilakoutas K (2010) Seismic behaviour of deficient RC frames strengthened with CFRP composites. Engineering Structures, 32, 3075-3085. View this article in WRRO
- Guadagnini M, Pilakoutas K & Waldron P (2006) Shear resistance of FRP RC beams: Experimental study. Journal of Composites for Construction, 10(6), 464-473.
- Tlemat H, Pilakoutas K & Neocleous K (2006) Modelling of SFRC using inverse finite element analysis. Materials and Structures, 39(2), 221-233. View this article in WRRO
- Neocleous K, Pilakoutas K & Guadagnini M (2005) Failure-mode-hierarchy based design for reinforced concrete structures. Structural Concrete, 6(1), 23-32. View this article in WRRO
- Pesic N & Pilakoutas K (2005) Flexural analysis and design of reinforced concrete beams with externally bonded FRP reinforcement. Materials and Structures, 38(2), 183-192.
- Pilakoutas K & Li X (2003) Alternative shear reinforcement for reinforced concrete flat slabs. ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 129, 1164-1172.