Dr Wernher Brevis
Lecturer in Applied Fluid Mechanics
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5709
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
The research interest of Dr. Brevis is mainly focused on the understanding of the structure of turbulent flows, specially in the context of flow-obstacles interactions in environmental flows. The research also include the analysis of the effects that these interactions can have on unsteady structural loads and dissolved mass transport (pollution). Another line of Dr. Brevis' research is the development and improvement of experimental methods for fluid mechanics and hydraulics, such as Particle Tracking Velocimetry (PTV), and the quantification of flow structures based on image processing of visualization techniques.
More information about the current research activities of Dr Brevis, including a list of publications, can be found in his personal website.
Activities and Distinctions
- Sochid Prize of Hydraulics, given every two years by the Chilean Society of Hydraulic Engineering to the best graduate in Hydraulic Engineering from Chilean universities, 2003.
- Manuel Mondrus Award, for best student in the Engineering courses of the graduates in 2001, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Concepción, Chile.
- CONYCIT Scholarship for doctoral studies, National Commission of Scientiﬁc and Technological research, Chile, 2004-2007.
- Integrated DAAD/CONICYT scholarship for joint research studies at the University of Karlsruhe, Germany, 2007.
- Brevis W, García-Villalba M & Niño Y (2014) Experimental and large eddy simulation study of the flow developed by a sequence of lateral obstacles. Environmental Fluid Mechanics, 1-21.
- Brevis W & Garcia-Villalba M (2011) Shallow-flow visualization analysis by proper orthogonal decomposition. Journal of Hydraulic Research, 49, 586-594. View this article in WRRO
- Brevis W, Niño Y & Jirka GH (2011) Integrating cross-correlation and relaxation algorithms for particle tracking velocimetry. Experiments in Fluids, 50, 135-147.
- De Smedt F, Brevis W & Debels P (2005) Analytical solution for solute transport resulting from instantaneous injection in streams with transient storage. Journal of Hydrology, 315(1-4), 25-39.
Conference proceedings papers
- Nicolleau F, Sangtani N, Brevis W & Nowakowski A (2013) Experimental Investigation of flows generated by fractal orifices. 14th European Turbulence Conference. Lyon, France
- Prinz F, Brevis W & Socolofsky S (2012) Shallow wake formed after porous structures: Quantification of the influence of porosity on the flow characteristics. 3rd International Symposium of Shallow Flows. Iowa City, USA, 4 June 2012 - 6 June 2012.
- Gross D, Brevis W & Jirka GH (2010) Development of a LED-based PIV/PTV system: Characterization of a partially vegetated shallow flow. Riverflow Conference (pp 1665-1672). Braunschweig, Germany
- Brevis W, Niño Y & Vargas J (2006) Experimental characterization and visualization of mass exchange process in dead zones in rivers. Proceedings of the International Conference on Fluvial Hydraulics - River Flow 2006, Vol. 1 (pp 235-242)