Dr Reyes Garcia
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5071
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
• PhD in Structural/Earthquake Engineering, The University of Sheffield (UK)
• MSc in Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismology (MEEES Programme), joint degree by ROSE School (Italy) and “Joseph Fourier” University of Grenoble I (France)
• Civil Engineering Degree, Graduated with “High Honours”, University of Michoacan (Mexico)
Reyes Garcia is a Post-Doctoral Research Associate at the Dept. of Civil and Structural Engineering of The University of Sheffield (UK) since 2014. His main research interests are in the fields of structural concrete, FRP reinforcement in construction and earthquake engineering. Reyes has extensive experience in the seismic behaviour and retrofitting of reinforced concrete (RC) structures. Along with his PhD, Reyes was the Technical Coordinator of the EU-funded project BANDIT, which investigated the effectiveness of different innovative strengthening techniques at improving the behaviour of a substandard full-scale two-storey RC building. Reyes has been heavily involved in the development of an innovative highly deformable rubberised concrete confined with Fibre Reinforced Polymers (FRP) within the EU-funded Anagennisi Project. He is co-Investigator in two Newton Fund projects on Rapid Post-earthquake Disaster and Risk Management for Industrial and Urban Zones in Turkey. He is also a member of the fib TG 5.1 “FRP Reinforcement for Concrete Structures” and of the EU-funded COST Action TU1207 “Next Generation Guidelines for Composite Reinforcements”.
• Structural concrete
• Seismic strengthening/retrofitting of reinforced concrete structures
• Rapid seismic risk assessments
• Use of waste tyre components in concrete
• FRP composites in construction
Grants, Activities and Distinctions
• 2017: On CampUS Placement “Rapid Earthquake Risk Assessment for Substandard Buildings in Developing Countries”. Line Manager: R Garcia. Value: £1,000.
• 2016-2019: RCUK- TÜBİTAK Newton Fund grant “Rapid Earthquake Risk Assessment and Post-Earthquake Disaster Management Framework for Substandard Buildings in Turkey”. PI: K Pilakoutas, co-I: R Garcia, I Hijirasouliha, Z Ozdemir. Value: £402,786.
• 2010-2013: EU 7th Framework Programme SERIES "Seismic Strengthening of Deficient RC Buildings Using Ductile Post-Tensioned Metal Straps". PI: K Pilakoutas. Project Coordinator: R Garcia. Value: £186,430.
• Project Coordinator, EU-funded Anagennisi Project (2016)
• Invited Lecturer, Nottingham Trent University (2013-)
• Reviewer for research proposals in various countries
• Reviewer for top international journals in the field of Earthquake Engineering and FRP in construction
• Chairman in conferences in the field of Earthquake Engineering and FRP construction
• Co-organiser and Proposal Coordinator of two Newton Fund Workshops on Earthquake Engineering in Mexico (2016) and Turkey (2017)
• Helal, Y., Garcia, R., Pilakoutas, K., Guadagnini, M. & Hajirasouliha, I. (2016) “Bond of substandard laps in RC beams retrofitted with post-tensioned metal straps”, ACI Structural Journal, 113(6), 1197-1208.
• Garcia, R., Guadagnini, M., Pilakoutas, K. & Pech, L.A. (2016) "FRP strengthening of substandard lap-spliced RC members: a comprehensive survey", Advances in Structural Engineering, DOI: 10.1177/1369433216668362
• Imjai, T., Guadagnini, M., Garcia, R. & Pilakoutas, K. (2016) “A practical method for determining shear crack induced deformation in FRP RC beams”, Engineering Structures, 126(1 November 2016), 353–364, DOI:10.1016/j.engstruct.2016.08.007.
• Raffoul, S., Garcia, R., Pilakoutas, K., Guadagnini, M. & Flores Medina, N. (2016) “Optimisation of rubberised concrete with high rubber content: an experimental investigation”, Construction and Building Materials, 124(15 October 2016), 391-404. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.07.054
• Pesic, N., Zivanovic, S., Garcia, R., & Papastergiou, P. (2016) “Mechanical properties of concrete reinforced with recycled HDPE plastic fibres”, Construction and Building Materials., 115(15 July 2016), 362-370, DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.04.050.
• Garcia, R., Pilakoutas, K., Hajirasouliha, I. et al. (2015) “Seismic Retrofitting of RC Buildings Using CFRP and Post-Tensioned Metal Straps: Shake Table Tests”. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, DOI: 10.1007/s10518-015-9800-8.
• Helal, Y., Garcia, R., Pilakoutas, K., Guadagnini, M., & Hajirasouliha, I. (2014) “Strengthening of short splices in RC beams using Post-Tensioned Metal Straps”, Materials and Structures, 1-15, DOI: 10.1617/s11527-014-0481-6
• Garcia, R., Hajirasouliha, I., Guadagnini, et al. (2014) “Full-scale shaking table tests on a substandard RC building repaired and strengthened with post-tensioned metal straps”, Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 18(2), 187-213. DOI: 10.1080/13632469.2013.847874.
• Garcia, R., Helal, Y., Pilakoutas, K., & Guadagnini, M. (2014) “Bond behaviour of substandard splices in RC beams externally confined with CFRP”, Construction and Building Materials, 50, 15 January 2014, 340–351, 340-351. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2013.09.021.
• Garcia, R., Jemaa, Y., Helal, Y., & Guadagnini, M., Pilakoutas, K. (2013) "Seismic strengthening of severely damaged beam-column RC joints using CFRP", Journal of Composites for Construction ASCE, 18(2), DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000448.