Mandarin for ages 2–3 | 婴幼儿亲子班
Open to children aged 2-3 and their parents (one child with one parent).
Due to Covid-19, Mandarin for ages 2-3 currently is currently suspended.
Time: 1h each session, twice a week. Mondays and Thursdays 9:30-10:30am.
Start when we have 5 enrolments.
Place: Playgroup Room, Confucius Institute, 2 Palmerston Road, S10 2TE
Email Confucius@Sheffield.ac.uk to register your interests.
Children have a natural ability to learn, which is developed during the first few years of their life. Learning a second language can be just as easy as learning the first.
Language learning lays a foundation for study skills, attitudes and creative thinking. Every new language opens a new window into a new life.
Working with the Chinese University of Hong Kong, the curriculum and teaching materials have been developed and backed by research.
Unique features of the parent-child Mandarin playgroup
- Incorporating research findings by linguists and researchers who specialise in child language development, designed by international team at the University of Cambridge – Chinese University of Hong Kong Joint Laboratory for Bilingualism.
- Effortlessly acquire authentic Mandarin though songs, games, and storytelling.
- Rich Content of 10 themes of daily life: animals, colours and shapes, food, clothing, weather, transportation, body parts, aquatic activities, occupations, and holidays.
- Parent-child interactions and one-on-one teacher-child interactions give clear language input and guidance.
- Three teachers are trained by the University of Cambridge – Chinese University of Hong Kong Joint Laboratory for Bilingualism and the Childhood Bilingualism Research Centre.
The playgroup is also a research project carried out by the University of Sheffield, the University of Cambridge, and the Chinese University of Hong Kong Joint Laboratory for Bilingualism. Its purpose is to study how children acquire Mandarin and how they interact with their parents, teachers, and peers in a playgroup setting.
All playgroup sessions will be recorded in the form of audio and video recordings for the purpose of further research and analysis. All personal information collected will be strictly guarded and will not be released in any publications or reports. You will need to sign a consent form, and you can choose to discontinue participation in the playgroup at any time.
Telephone: +44 114 222 8447 / +44 784 626 2870
Events at the University
Browse upcoming public lectures, exhibitions, family events, concerts, shows and festivals across the University.