Advice for prospective students

The following information is for prospective University students planning to join the University in 2021-22.

How we've adapted our campus for 2020

Our autumn term 2020 web pages provide the latest information on: safety on campus and in the city, accommodation, learning and teaching, and student support.

We've also prepared the following frequently asked questions. If you have further questions, please contact Due to the high volume of enquiries we are currently receiving there may be a delay to our response.

We'll continue to issue any further advice and guidance as it becomes available, so we encourage everyone to read the information contained here carefully and regularly, and to follow the instructions given.

Additional sources of information

The following websites are regularly updated with advice and information:

Please also refer to the latest advice on the main coronavirus homepage.

Frequently asked questions - for prospective students

The questions and answers below are relevant to prospective students. Other information is available on our coronavirus pages.

Are you still holding open days?

In line with government advice, all our on campus events have been moved online. Visit our web pages to find the latest information about online open days and everything else you need to know about studying at the University of Sheffield.

I'm an undergraduate applicant. With A Levels likely to be three weeks later in 2021, will degree courses also start later?

Under the current plans, A Level exams in summer 2021 are due to take place three weeks later than usual, but results are expected only five days later than the date originally scheduled (24 August rather than 19 August). We're currently liaising with UCAS, the Department for Education, the Office for Students and exam boards to find out more about the plans before we decide whether we'll need to change our term dates. We'll update our webpages with more information when we have it, and contact affected applicants if there is any change.

I'm an undergraduate applicant. Will you take a more flexible approach to predicted grades given the disruption?

For most of our courses, you don't need to be predicted the exact grades specified in the entry requirements in order to be considered for an offer. We know that applicants often improve on their predicted grades when their final results come through. We'll continue our flexible approach to predicted grades, and also take into account the disruption students have faced in both Years 12 and 13 as they prepare for higher education.

I'm studying my A Levels in Wales, and the Welsh government has confirmed that there will be no exams in 2021. Will this affect my application to the University of Sheffield?


A Level exams in Wales will, for summer 2021, be replaced by a system of teacher-managed assessments, which will be externally set and marked but delivered within a classroom environment under teacher supervision. These assessments will then form the basis of grades that will be awarded in the usual way.

Our understanding is that the assessment process will be robust and externally moderated. In these circumstances, we'll consider your application in the same way as those of A Level students sitting exams, and we'll treat the grades you achieve as the same as A Level grades awarded in other parts of the UK or in other years.

You can find more information about A Levels in 2021 on the Welsh government's webpages:
Wales' approach for qualifications in 2021 confirmed by Education Minister Kirsty Williams

I’m an International applicant to a postgraduate taught course. What's your tuition fee deposit refund policy?

You can find information about tuition fee deposits, including our refunds policy, on our webpages:
Postgraduate taught course tuition fee deposits

We'll refund the deposits of applicants who are unable to take up their place for reasons relating to the coronavirus pandemic.

Which English language qualifications will you accept?

We accept a wide range of English language qualifications. Full lists are available on our webpages:

English language requirements for undergraduate applicants
English language requirements for postgraduate applicants

We've added several new qualifications:

  • TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition
  • NCUK English Language Test
  • LanguageCert International ESOL SELT

We’ll also accept IELTS Indicator tests completed on or after 1 July 2020, in addition to the IELTS Academic and IELTS for UKVI Academic tests.