Learning and teaching

We've adapted our teaching to make sure you continue to receive a world-class education from our teachers.


Remote attendance during semester two

Teaching will take place in person on campus for the majority of programmes.

If you began your studies remotely

You need to tell us if you have already arrived in Sheffield or when you intend to arrive. Please read the information carefully and check your information and make any changes required.

Change your remote study status

Distance learning courses

If you're studying on a distance learning course, you will be able to continue attending remotely as planned. You do not need to take action to request remote study. 

If you have any questions about your method of study, please contact your department. 

Concerns about attending due to health reasons 

If you are worried about attending learning and teaching on campus in person due to a health or disability related concern, please contact your academic department first to discuss your situation, and the options available to you. 

Clinical placements

Students undertaking clinical placements may be expected to undertake testing in the same way as NHS staff. Ongoing requirements are currently being confirmed with Health Education England and further information will be provided by your academic department. 

Covid-19 testing guidance

Support for online learning

For support with online learning, please read our guidance:

Download software to use at home

We have a range of software to support you while you work and study from home.

Download University software

Accessing your emails

If you think you may have issues accessing your University Gmail account from home, you should set up automatically forwarding Gmail messages to your personal account (Gmail help). Contact IT Services for more information and help.

Extenuating circumstances

If you’re unwell, you are not expected to sit an in-person or online assessment. 

If you’re unable to attend your exam, submit extenuating circumstances for your absence, even if your exam is online.  

Extenuating circumstances are usually unforeseen personal or health problems that are outside your control, and that have affected your ability to complete assessments. You do not need to submit an extenuating circumstances form for general levels of disruption related to the pandemic, for example if you have needed to self-isolate.

What counts as extenuating circumstances

If you feel you need to submit an extenuating circumstances form, first contact your academic department, who will be able to help you through the process. You should include as much detail in your application, so that we can make sure you receive the support you need.

You can now report any valid medical and personal circumstances (including non-Covid related) without having to provide supporting evidence. 

Let us know if you have a problem

Leave of absence

Undergraduate and postgraduate taught students

We recognise that, as a result of Covid-19, medical or personal circumstances might mean you’d like to explore the possibility of pausing your studies, and taking a period of leave.

If this is the case, please first discuss your options with your academic department to ensure that this is the most appropriate course of action for you. If, after you’ve considered your options, you’d prefer to take a break from your studies, you can apply to take a leave of absence for a set period. We will be supportive of requests that are made on the basis of coronavirus impacts.

Undergraduate and postgraduate taught leave of absence

Postgraduate research students

Information about postgraduate research leave of absence and guidance on carrying out research.

Support – get in touch

Our extensive range of support services for students are all available online.