Dr Chenghua Lin
Department of Computer Science
Senior Lecturer in Natural Language Processing
Course Director for MSc Data Analytics
PGT Admissions Tutor
Member of the Natural Language Processing research group
+44 114 222 1859
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
Dr Chenghua Lin is a Senior Lecturer in Natural Language Processing in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Sheffield. Prior to joining Sheffield, he was a SICSA Senior Lecturer in the Department of Computing Science, University of Aberdeen.
He received his PhD in Computer Science from the University of Exeter.
- Research interests
Dr Chenghua Lin's research is centred around machine learning, natural language processing, data and text mining. Currently, he is particularly interested in the development of algorithms and models for sentiment analysis, text summarisation, natural language generation and cognitive inspired context learning.
- A unified latent variable model for contrastive opinion mining. Frontiers of Computer Science, 14(2), 404-416. View this article in WRRO
- Extractive and abstractive sentence labelling of sentiment-bearing topics. Frontiers of Computer Science. View this article in WRRO
- Deep Ensemble Learning for News Stance Detection. arXiv preprint arXiv:1909.12233.
- Data-driven two-layer visual dictionary structure learning. Journal of Electronic Imaging, 28(02), 1-1.
- Sherlock: A semi-automatic framework for quiz generation using a hybrid semantic similarity measure. Cognitive Computation, 7, 667-679.
- Sentiment-topic modeling in text mining. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, 5(5), 246-254.
- Expressing Quantities in Words: Towards a Computational Model.
- Sentiment Analysis in Social Media. Encyclopedia of Social Network Analysis and Mining, 1688-1699.
- Dynamic joint sentiment-topic model. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, 5(1), 1-21.
- Weakly Supervised Joint Sentiment-Topic Detection from Text. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 24(6), 1134-1145.
- View this article in WRRO A Text Reassembling Approach to Natural Language Generation.
- Dialogue State Tracking with Pretrained Encoder for Multi-domain Trask-oriented Dialogue Systems.
- Revisiting the linearity in cross-lingual embedding mappings: from a perspective of word analogies.
Conference proceedings papers
- Feature LDA: a Supervised Topic Model for Automatic Detection of Web API Documentations from the Web. Proceedings of the 11th International Semantic Web Conference
- View this article in WRRO End-to-End Sequential Metaphor Identification Inspired by Linguistic Theories. Proceedings of the 57th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (pp 3888-3898). Florence, Italy, 28 July 2019 - 2 August 2019.
- QTUNA: A corpus for understanding how speakers use quantification. INLG 2019 - 12th International Conference on Natural Language Generation, Proceedings of the Conference (pp 124-129)
- Deep Ensemble Learning for News Stance Detection. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Computational Social Science
- Generating quantified descriptions of abstract visual scenes. INLG 2019 - 12th International Conference on Natural Language Generation, Proceedings of the Conference (pp 529-539)
- View this article in WRRO A stable variational autoencoder for text modelling. INLG 2019 - 12th International Conference on Natural Language Generation, Proceedings of the Conference (pp 594-599)
- A dual-attention hierarchical recurrent neural network for dialogue act classification. CoNLL 2019 - 23rd Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning, Proceedings of the Conference (pp 383-392)
- Word embedding and wordnet based metaphor identification and interpretation. Proceedings of the 56th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (Volume 1: Long Papers) (pp 1222-1231). Melbourne, Australia, 15 July 2018 - 20 July 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Generating descriptions for sequential images with local-object attention and global semantic context modelling. 2IS and NLG 2018 - Workshop on Intelligent Interactive Systems and Language Generation, Proceedings of the Workshop (pp 3-8)
- Modelling pro-drop with the rational speech acts model. INLG 2018 - 11th International Natural Language Generation Conference, Proceedings of the Conference (pp 159-164)
- Generating Description for Sequential Images with Local-Object Attention Conditioned on Global Semantic Context. Proceedings of the Workshop on Intelligent Interactive Systems and Language Generation (2IS&NLG) (pp 3-8)
- Modelling Various Kinds of Specifications. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Computational Models of Language Generation and Processing in Pragmatics (
- Understanding how to explain package recommendations in the clothes domain. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 2225 (pp 74-78)
- Assessing the Effectiveness of Affective Lexicons for Depression Classification (pp 65-69)
- Statistical NLG for generating the content and form of referring expressions. INLG 2018 - 11th International Natural Language Generation Conference, Proceedings of the Conference (pp 482-491)
- SimpleNLG-ZH: A linguistic realisation engine for mandarin. INLG 2018 - 11th International Natural Language Generation Conference, Proceedings of the Conference (pp 57-66)
- Incorporating Constraints into Matrix Factorization for Clothes Package Recommendation. Proceedings of the 26th Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization
- View this article in WRRO ABDN at SemEval-2018 Task 10: recognising discriminative attributes using context embeddings and WordNet. Proceedings of the 12th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (pp 1017-1021). Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL)
- Analysing the causes of depressed mood from depression vulnerable individuals. Proceedings of the International Workshop on Digital Disease Detection using Social Media 2017 (DDDSM-2017) (pp 9-17)
- Extracting and understanding contrastive opinion through topic relevant sentences. Proceedings of the Eighth International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (Volume 2: Short Papers) (pp 395-400)
- Automatically Labelling Sentiment-Bearing Topics with Descriptive Sentence Labels (pp 299-312)
- Matrix factorization for package recommendations. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1892 (pp 23-28)
- Tracking Sentiment and Topic Dynamics from Social Media (pp 457-465)
- Statistics-based lexical choice for NLG from quantitative information. INLG 2016 - 9th International Natural Language Generation Conference, Proceedings of the Conference (pp 104-108)
- Generating pseudotransactions for improving sparse matrix factorization. Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (pp 439-442). ACM
- A curated corpus for sentiment-topic analysis. Emotion and Sentiment Analysis
- Automatically Predicting Quiz Difficulty Level Using Similarity Measures. Proceedings of the Knowledge Capture Conference on ZZZ - K-CAP 2015, 7 October 2015 - 10 October 2015.
- Applying Rule Extraction & Rule Refinement techniques to (Blackbox) Classifiers. Proceedings of the Knowledge Capture Conference on ZZZ - K-CAP 2015, 7 October 2015 - 10 October 2015.
- Web as Corpus Supporting Natural Language Generation for Online River Information Communication. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on World Wide Web - WWW '15 Companion, 18 May 2015 - 22 May 2015.
- Hete-cf: Social-based collaborative filtering recommendation using heterogeneous relations. Proceedings of the 14th IEEE International Conference on Data Mining (pp 917-922). Shenzhen, China, 14 December 2014 - 17 December 2014.
- Hetpathmine: A novel transductive classification algorithm on heterogeneous information networks. Advances in Information Retrieval: 36th European Conference on IR Research, ECIR 2014, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, April 13-16, 2014, Proceedings, Vol. 8416 (pp 210-221). Springer, 13 April 2014 - 16 April 2014.
- Sherlock: A semi-automatic quiz generation system using linked data. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1272 (pp 9-12)
- Tracking sentiment and topic dynamics from social media. Sixth International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media
- Tracking sentiment and topic dynamics from social media. ICWSM 2012 - Proceedings of the 6th International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (pp 483-486)
- Online Sentiment and Topic Dynamics Tracking over the Streaming Data. 2012 International Conference on Privacy, Security, Risk and Trust and 2012 International Confernece on Social Computing, 3 September 2012 - 5 September 2012.
- Harnessing the crowds for automating the identification of web APIs. AAAI Spring Symposium - Technical Report, Vol. SS-12-04 (pp 58-63)
- Feature LDA: A supervised topic model for automatic detection of web API documentations from the web. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 7649 LNCS(PART 1) (pp 328-343)
- Sentence subjectivity detection with weakly-supervised learning. Proceedings of 5th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (pp 1153-1161)
- Automatically extracting polarity-bearing topics for cross-domain sentiment classification. ACL-HLT 2011 - Proceedings of the 49th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies, Vol. 1 (pp 123-131)
- A comparative study of bayesian models for unsupervised sentiment detection. CoNLL 2010 - Fourteenth Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning, Proceedings of the Conference (pp 144-152)
- Protein-Protein Interactions Classification from Text via Local Learning with Class Priors (pp 182-191)
- Joint sentiment/topic model for sentiment analysis. Proceeding of the 18th ACM conference on Information and knowledge management - CIKM '09, 2 November 2009 - 6 November 2009.
- A multi-agent system for intelligent pervasive spaces. 2008 IEEE International Conference on Service Operations and Logistics, and Informatics, 12 October 2008 - 15 October 2008.
- Review of computer vision in intelligent environment design
- A multi-agent system for intelligent pervasive spaces. Proceedings of 2008 IEEE International Conference on Service Operations and Logistics, and Informatics, IEEE/SOLI 2008, Vol. 1 (pp 1005-1010)
- Latent Space Factorisation and Manipulation via Matrix Subspace Projection. ICML
Theses / Dissertations
- Professional activities
Member of the Natural Language Processing research group