Dr Elif Kavun
Department of Computer Science
Lecturer in Cybersecurity
PGT Admissions Tutor
Member of the Security of Advanced Systems research group
+44 114 222 1915
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
Elif Bilge Kavun is a Lecturer in Cybersecurity at the Department of Computer Science, The University of Sheffield since January 2019, co-affiliated with the Security of Advanced Systems Research Group.
Previously, she was a Digital Design Engineer for Crypto Cores at the Digital Security Solutions division, Infineon (Munich, Germany) and a research assistant at Horst Goertz Institute for IT Security, Ruhr University Bochum (Bochum, Germany).
She completed a PhD in Embedded Security at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, Ruhr University Bochum (Bochum, Germany).
- Research interests
- Hardware security
- Design and implementation of cryptographic primitives
- Lightweight cryptography
- Side-channel attacks and countermeasures
- A Survey on Authenticated Encryption--ASIC Designer’s Perspective. ACM Computing Surveys, 50(6), 1-21.
- Large-scale high-resolution computational validation of novel complexity models in linear cryptanalysis. Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 259, 592-598.
Conference proceedings papers
- Towards Secure Composition of Integrated Circuits and Electronic Systems: On the Role of EDA. 2020 Design, Automation & Test in Europe Conference & Exhibition (DATE), 9 March 2020 - 13 March 2020.
- Efficient utilization of DSPs and BRAMs revisited : new AES-GCM recipes on FPGAs. 2019 International Conference on ReConFigurable Computing and FPGAs (ReConFig). Cancun, Mexico, 9 December 2019 - 11 December 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Almost-zero logic implementation of Troika hash function on reconfigurable devices. 2019 International Conference on ReConFigurable Computing and FPGAs (ReConFig). Cancun, Mexico, 9 December 2019 - 11 December 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Block Ciphers – Focus on the Linear Layer (feat. PRIDE). Advances in Cryptology – CRYPTO 2014. CRYPTO 2014. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 8616 (pp 57-76)
- A Non-Linear/Linear Instruction Set Extension for Lightweight Ciphers. 2013 IEEE 21st Symposium on Computer Arithmetic, 7 April 2013 - 10 April 2013.
- On the Implementation Aspects of Sponge-Based Authenticated Encryption for Pervasive Devices (pp 141-157)
- Dietary Recommendations for Lightweight Block Ciphers: Power, Energy and Area Analysis of Recently Developed Architectures (pp 103-112)
- A reconfigurable architecture for searching optimal software code to implement block cipher permutation matrices. 2013 International Conference on Reconfigurable Computing and FPGAs (ReConFig), 9 December 2013 - 11 December 2013.
- IPSecco: A lightweight and reconfigurable IPSec core. 2012 International Conference on Reconfigurable Computing and FPGAs, 5 December 2012 - 7 December 2012.
- Efficient reconfigurable hardware architecture for accurately computing success probability and data complexity of linear attacks. 2012 International Conference on Reconfigurable Computing and FPGAs, 5 December 2012 - 7 December 2012.
- PRINCE – A Low-Latency Block Cipher for Pervasive Computing Applications (pp 208-225)
- PRINCE - A Low-Latency Block Cipher for Pervasive Computing Applications Extended Abstract. ADVANCES IN CRYPTOLOGY - ASIACRYPT 2012, Vol. 7658 (pp 208-225)
- Memory Encryption for Smart Cards (pp 199-216)
- RAM-Based Ultra-Lightweight FPGA Implementation of PRESENT. 2011 International Conference on Reconfigurable Computing and FPGAs, 30 November 2011 - 2 December 2011.
- Towards an Ultra Lightweight Crypto Processor. 2011 Workshop on Lightweight Security & Privacy: Devices, Protocols, and Applications, 14 March 2011 - 15 March 2011.
- A Lightweight Implementation of Keccak Hash Function for Radio-Frequency Identification Applications (pp 258-269)
- A pipelined camellia architecture for compact hardware implementation. ASAP 2010 - 21st IEEE International Conference on Application-specific Systems, Architectures and Processors, 7 July 2010 - 9 July 2010.