Professor Fabio Ciravegna
Department of Computer Science
Professor of Pervasive Technologies
Academic Director of University Technology Centre on Artificial Intelligence for Defence and Security
Head of the Organisations, Information and Knowledge (OAK) research group
+44 114 222 1904
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
Fabio Ciravegna is Professor of Pervasive Technologies and Head of OAK Group. He is the Academic Director and founder of the University Technology Centre in Artificial Intelligence for Defence and Security.
His research field concerns large scale data collection and analysis from multiple devices and multiple modes.
He has created technologies for tracking mobility used by a million users and which have collected over a billion mobility data points. He has created three spin out companies, two of which in the area of tracking and modelling mobility.
He is currently the CEO of Aeqora Ltd (aeqora.com), a company providing solutions for tracking of physical movements using mobile technologies and IoT.
In 2016-1019 he was the director of the European project Seta, (www. setamobility.eu, 15 partners, €5.5m) which aimed to build a ubiquitous data and service ecosystem for metropolitan mobility.
In 2012-2016 he was Director of the European Project WeSenseIt (14 partners, €6.5m budget) on creating citizen observatories of water. In 2006-2010 he was director of the European Integrated Project IST XMedia (15 partners, €13.6m budget) and in 2002-2005 he was director of the EU project Dot.Kom. He is part of the editorial board of the International Journal on Web Semantics.
In 2009-2012 he was the Director of Research and Innovation in the Digital World for the University of Sheffield.
In 2009 he was General Chair of the European Semantic Web Conference. He holds a PhD from the University of East Anglia and a Doctorship from the University of Torino, Italy.
- Research interests
Focus is on knowledge and information management over large scale. The research covers 3 main areas:
- How to capture information over large scale (the Web, the Social Web, distributed organisational archives, mobile devices, drones, sensors, etc)
- How to use the captured information (eg for knowledge management, business intelligence, customer analysis, management of large scale events via social media)
- How to communicate the information (to final users, problem owners, etc)
Research areas covered are knowledge and information management, Web technologies, human computer interaction, search technologies and natural language processing.
Prof Ciravegna’s research income since 2006 tops £8.5 million, of which about 15% directly from industry (eg Rolls-Royce plc, Football Whispers, JustGiving, etc)
- Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics): Preface.
- An indoor positioning system using Bluetooth Low Energy. IEEE Access. View this article in WRRO
- Remote home visit: Exploring the feasibility, acceptability and potential benefits of using digital technology to undertake occupational therapy home assessments. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. View this article in WRRO
- Definitive guidelines toward effective mobile devices crowdtesting methodology. International Journal of Crowd Science, 4(2), 209-228. View this article in WRRO
- Mobile Devices Compatibility Testing Strategy via Crowdsourcing. International Journal of Crowd Science, 2(3), 225-246. View this article in WRRO
- SemRe-Rank: Improving Automatic Term Extraction by Incorporating Semantic Relatedness with Personalised PageRank. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, 12(5). View this article in WRRO
- Harnessing Location-based Services for Effective Citizen Observatories.. International Journal of Spatial Data Infrastructures Research, 13, 101-108. View this article in WRRO
- Citizen Science and Crowdsourcing for Earth Observations: An Analysis of Stakeholder Opinions on the Present and Future. Remote Sensing, 9(1), 87-87. View this article in WRRO
- An unsupervised data-driven method to discover equivalent relations in large Linked Datasets. Semantic Web, 8(2), 197-223. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Citizen observatories for effective Earth observations: the WeSenseIt Approach. environmental SCIENTIST, 25(2), 56-61.
- Distantly supervised Web relation extraction for knowledge base population. Semantic Web, 7(4), 335-349. View this article in WRRO
- Communicating with Citizens on the Ground: A Practical Study. International Journal of Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, 8(2), 50-69. View this article in WRRO
- Early Steps Towards Web Scale Information Extraction with LODIE. AI Magazine, 36(1), 55-64. View this article in WRRO
- An overview of semantic search evaluation initiatives. Journal of Web Semantics, 30, 82-105. View this article in WRRO
- Affective graphs: The visual appeal of Linked Data. Semantic Web, 6(3), 277-312. View this article in WRRO
- A theory-based online health behaviour intervention for new university students (U@Uni): Results from a randomised controlled trial. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, 563-563. View this article in WRRO
- Linked knowledge sources for topic classification of microposts: A semantic graph-based approach. Journal of Web Semantics.
- Social Influence Analysis in Microblogging Platforms - A Topic-Sensitive based Approach. Semantic Web – Interoperability, Usability, Applicability, 5(5), 357-372. View this article in WRRO
- Exploring user and system requirements of linked data visualization through a visual dashboard approach. Semantic Web – Interoperability, Usability, Applicability, 5(3), 203-220.
- Exploring User and System Requirements of Linked Data Visualization through a Visual Dashboard Approach. Journal of Semantic Web – Interoperability, Usability, Applicability, 4(4).
- A theory-based online intervention to promote health behaviour in new university students: One-month follow-up data. PSYCHOLOGY & HEALTH, 28, 132-132.
- Topica - Profiling locations through social streams. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), 7774 LNCS, 290-305.
- Harnessing linked knowledge sources for topic classification in social media. HT 2013 - Proceedings of the 24th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media, 41-50.
- A theory-based online health behavior intervention for new university students: study protocol.. BMC Public Health, 13, 107. View this article in WRRO
- Recent advances in methods of lexical semantic relatedness - a survey. Natural Language Engineering, FirstView, 1-69.
- Exploring the similarity between social knowledge sources and twitter for cross-domain topic classification. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 895, 78-92.
- Evaluating semantic search systems to identify future directions of research?. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 843, 25-36.
- Ontology-based knowledge capture and sharing in enterprise organisations, 200-225.
- Volatile classification of point of interests based on social activity streams. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 830.
- A knowledge dashboard for manufacturing industries. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 748, 51-63.
- Capturing entity-based semantics emerging from personal awareness streams. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 718, 33-44.
- Highly focused document retrieval in aerospace engineering: User interaction design and evaluation. Aslib Proceedings: New Information Perspectives, 63(2-3), 148-167.
- Disambiguating identity web references using Web 2.0 data and semantics. J WEB SEMANT, 8(2-3), 125-142.
- Evaluating semantic search tools using the SEALS platform?. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 666.
- Methodology and campaign design for the evaluation of semantic search tools. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series.
- Applying semantic web technologies to knowledge sharing in aerospace engineering. J INTELL MANUF, 20(5), 611-623.
- Attributing semantics to personal photographs. MULTIMED TOOLS APPL, 42(1), 73-96.
- Integrating archaeological literature into resource discovery interfaces using natural language processing and name authority services. e-science 2009 - Proceedings of the 2009 5th IEEE International Conference on e-Science Workshops, 184-187.
- Evaluation of machine learning-based information extraction algorithms: criticisms and recommendations. LANG RESOUR EVAL, 42(4), 361-393.
- Disambiguating identity through social circles and social data. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 351, 80-93.
- Getting to me - Exporting semantic social network information from facebook. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 405.
- Annotating document content: a knowledge-management perspective. The Indexer: The International Journal of Indexing, 25(1), 23-27.
- Semantic annotation for knowledge management: Requirements and a survey of the state of the art. J WEB SEMANT, 4(1), 14-28.
- Large scale cross-media knowledge acquisition, sharing and reuse in X-media. IET Seminar Digest, 2005(11099), 407-408.
- IE evaluation: Criticisms and recommendations. AAAI Workshop - Technical Report, WS-04-01, 7-14.
- Learning Pinocchio: Adaptive information extraction for real world applications. Natural Language Engineering, 10(2), 145-165.
- Recent advances in natural language processing. IEEE INTELL SYST, 18(1), 12-13.
- Full parsing approximation for information extraction via finite-state cascades. Natural Language Engineering, 8(2-3), 145-165.
- Challenges in information extraction from text for knowledge management. IEEE INTELL SYST, 16(6), 88-90.
- UNDERSTANDING MESSAGES IN A DIAGNOSTIC DOMAIN. INFORM PROCESS MANAG, 31(5), 687-701.
- Crowdsourcing to enhance insights from satellite observations In Bordogna G & Carrara P (Ed.), Mobile information Systems leveraging Volunteered Geographic Information for Earth Observation (pp. 35-52). Springer View this article in WRRO
- Finding Needles in Haystacks: Data-mining in Distributed Historical Datasets, The Virtual Representation of the Past (pp. 65-79). Routledge
- NL-Graphs: A Hybrid Approach toward Interactively Querying Semantic Data, The Semantic Web: Trends and Challenges (pp. 565-579). Springer International Publishing
- Travel Mashups, Semantic Mashups (pp. 321-347). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Combining Diverse Knowledge Based Features for Semantic Relatedness Measures In Brena RF & Guzman-Arenas A (Ed.), Quantitative Semantics and Soft Computing Methods for the Web (pp. 96-117). IGI Global
- Extracting Semantic User Networks from Informal Communication Exchanges, The Semantic Web – ISWC 2011 (pp. 209-224). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Future Trends, Handbook of Semantic Web Technologies (pp. 581-618). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Named Entity Recognition for Ontology Population using Background Knowledge from Wikipedia IGI Global
- Creating and Using Organisational Semantic Webs in Large Networked Organisations, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (pp. 723-736). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Preface (pp. 7-7). Informa UK Limited
Conference proceedings papers
- Neural language model based training data augmentation for weakly supervised early rumor detection. ASONAM '19: Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (pp 105-112). Vancouver, Canada, 27 August 2019 - 30 August 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Active 10: Brisk Walking to Support Regular Physical Activity. Proceedings of 13th EAI International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare, 20 May 2019 - 23 May 2019. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Semantic Understanding of Human Mobility Lifestyle to support Crisis Management. ISCRAM 2019 Proceedings (pp 421-434). Valencia, Spain, 19 May 2019 - 22 May 2019.
- View this article in WRRO Rumour Detection on Social Media for Crisis Management. Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response And Management (pp 660-673). Valencia, Spain, 19 May 2019 - 22 May 2019.
- View this article in WRRO Data Augmentation for Rumor Detection Using Context-Sensitive Neural Language Model With Large-Scale Credibility Corpus. Learning from Limited Labeled Data: ICLR 2019 Workshop, 6 May 2019 - 9 May 2019.
- The Key Considerations In Building A Crowd-testing Platform For Software Developers. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Crowd Science and Engineering - ICCSE'19, 18 October 2019 - 21 October 2019.
- Hybrid Crowd-powered Approach for Compatibility Testing of Mobile Devices and Applications. ICCSE'18, 28 July 2018 - 31 July 2018. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Mapping mobility to support crisis management. Proceedings of the International ISCRAM Conference, Vol. 2018-May (pp 305-316)
- Large scale, long-term, high granularity measurement of active travel using smartphones apps. Proceedings, Vol. 2(6), 26 March 2018 - 29 March 2018. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Football Whispers: Transfer rumour detection. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1963
- Lessons learned using wi-fi and Bluetooth as means to monitor public service usage. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers View this article in WRRO
- Access Visits Using Video Communication. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, Vol. 242 (pp 102-110) View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Digitising the acute service based home assessment. BRITISH JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, Vol. 80 (pp 62-62)
- View this article in WRRO Seeing through the eyes of the citizens during emergencies. Proceedings of the International ISCRAM Conference
- View this article in WRRO JATE 2.0: Java Automatic Term Extraction with Apache Solr. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2016 (pp 2262-2269)
- Evaluating Semantic Search Systems to Identify Future Directions of Research (pp 148-162)
- Geo-fence driven crowd-sourcing for Emergencies. ISCRAM 2015 Conference Proceedings - 12th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, Vol. 2015-January
- Self Training Wrapper Induction with Linked Data. TSD2014. B'rno, 8 September 2014 - 12 September 2014.
- Real-Time Detection, Tracking, and Monitoring of Automatically Discovered Events in Social Media. Proceedings of 52nd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics: System Demonstrations, June 2014 - June 2014.
- View this article in WRRO Citizens' observatories for situation awareness in flooding. ISCRAM 2014 Conference Proceedings - 11th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (pp 145-154)
- Relation Extraction from the Web Using Distant Supervision (pp 26-41)
- Visual design recommendations for situation awareness in social media. ISCRAM 2014 Conference Proceedings - 11th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (pp 792-801)
- Visual analysis of real-time social media for emergency response. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1329 (pp 67-78)
- Topic-oriented Words as Features for Named Entity Recognition. Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics (CICLING)
- Statistical knowledge patterns for characterising linked data. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1188
- Using BabelNet in bridging the gap between natural language queries and linked data concepts. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1064
- Mapping keywords to Linked Data resources for automatic query expansion. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 992 (pp 9-20)
- Visualising topical sentiment in twitter streams. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1191
- Mapping keywords to linked data resources for automatic query expansion. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 7955 LNCS (pp 101-112)
- Web scale information extraction with LODIE. AAAI Fall Symposium - Technical Report, Vol. FS-13-04 (pp 24-27)
- Evaluating the real usability of a C2 system - Short and controlled vs long and real. ISCRAM 2013 Conference Proceedings - 10th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (pp 62-66)
- Unsupervised Wrapper Induction using Linked Data. K-cap 2013, 23 June 2013 - 26 June 2013.
- View this article in WRRO Automatically Extracting Procedural Knowledge from Instructional Texts using Natural Language Processing. International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2012). Istanbul
- Unsupervised document zone identification using probabilistic graphical models. Proceedings of the Eight International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’12). Istanbul, Turkey
- Straight to the Information I Need”: Assessing Collational Interfaces for Emergency Response. 9th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (ISCRAM 2012)
- Evaluating Semantic Search Query Approaches with Expert and Casual Users. The Semantic Web – ISWC 2012 : Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 7650, Vol. 2 (pp 274-286). Boston (Ma), 11 November 2012 - 15 November 2012.
- LODIE: Linked Open Data for Web-scale Information Extraction. Proceedings of the Workshop on Semantic Web and Information Extraction (SWAIE 2012). Galway, 8 October 2012 - 12 October 2012.
- Evaluating Semantic Search Query Approaches with Expert and Casual Users (pp 274-286)
- Sensing Presence (PreSense) Ontology: User Modelling in the Semantic Sensor Web.. ESWC Workshops, Vol. 7117 (pp 253-268)
- A Knowledge Dashboard for Manufacturing Industries.. ESWC Workshops, Vol. 7117 (pp 112-124)
- Extracting semantic user networks from informal communication exchanges. The Semantic Web - ISWC 2011. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. LNCS 7031(PART 1) (pp 209-224). Bonn, Germany, 23 October 2011 - 27 October 2011.
- Harnessing different knowledge sources to measure semantic relatedness under a uniform model. EMNLP 2011 - Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, Proceedings of the Conference (pp 991-1002)
- Efficient media exploitation towards Collective Intelligence. Studies in Classification, Data Analysis, and Knowledge Organization (pp 723-732)
- Collective intelligence generation from user contributed content. Studies in Classification, Data Analysis, and Knowledge Organization (pp 765-774)
- A comprehensive solution to procedural knowledge acquisition using information extraction. KDIR 2010 - Proceedings of the International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Information Retrieval (pp 432-437)
- A Methodology towards Effective and Efficient Manual Document Annotation: Addressing Annotator Discrepancy and Annotation Quality.. EKAW, Vol. 6317 (pp 301-315)
- Improving Domain-specific Entity Recognition with Automatic Term Recognition and Feature Extraction.. LREC
- Toponym Resolution in Social Media.. International Semantic Web Conference (1), Vol. 6496 (pp 370-385)
- Authoring Technical Documents for Effective Retrieval.. EKAW, Vol. 6317 (pp 287-300)
- Efficient Media Exploitation Towards Collective Intelligence. ADVANCES IN DATA ANALYSIS, DATA HANDLING AND BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE (pp 723-732)
- Collective Intelligence Generation from User Contributed Content. ADVANCES IN DATA ANALYSIS, DATA HANDLING AND BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE (pp 765-774)
- Context-based Ontology Matching: Concept and Application Cases.. CIT (pp 1292-1298)
- Metasocial Wiki - Towards an interlinked knowledge in a decentralized social space.. SemWiki, Vol. 464
- The Semantic Web: Research and Applications, 6th European Semantic Web Conference, ESWC 2009, Heraklion, Crete, Greece, May 31-June 4, 2009, Proceedings. ESWC, Vol. 5554
- Web news categorization using a cross-media document graph.. CIVR
- PixGeo: Geographically Grounding Touristic Personal Photographs. SEMANTIC MULTIMEDIA, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 5887 (pp 149-160)
- View this article in WRRO Multi Visualization and Dynamic Query for Effective Exploration of Semantic Data. SEMANTIC WEB - ISWC 2009, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 5823 (pp 505-520)
- A Comparative Evaluation of Term Recognition Algorithms.. LREC
- Saxon: an Extensible Multimedia Annotator.. LREC
- Using Similarity Metrics For Terminology Recognition.. LREC
- Exploring multimedia in a keyword space.. ACM Multimedia (pp 101-110)
- Creating and Using Organisational Semantic Webs in Large Networked Organisations. SEMANTIC WEB - ISWC 2008, Vol. 5318 (pp 723-736)
- Extracting semantic meaning from photographic annotations using a hybrid approach. METADATA MINING FOR IMAGE UNDERSTANDING (pp 48-57)
- View this article in WRRO Hybrid search: Effectively combining keywords and semantic searches. SEMANTIC WEB: RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 5021 (pp 554-568)
- Challenges and methodologies for knowledge acquisition and sharing in large distributed environments. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 253
- Dynamic iterative ontology learning. International Conference Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing, RANLP, Vol. 2007-January (pp 93-97)
- Proceedings of the The First International Workshop on Semantic Web and Web 2.0 in Architectural, Product and Engineering Design co-located with ISWC 2007 + ASWC 2007, Busan, Korea, November 11th, 2007. SWW 2.0, Vol. 294
- Doris: Managing Document-based Knowledge in Large Organisations via Semantic Web Technologies .. Semantic Web Challenge, Vol. 295
- Cross-media document annotation and enrichment. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 209
- A methodology and tool for representing language resources for information extraction. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2006 (pp 103-106)
- An incremental tri-partite approach to ontology learning. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2006 (pp 197-202)
- Requirements for multimedia document enrichment.. WWW (pp 903-904)
- X-Media: Large Scale Knowledge Acquisition, Sharing and Reuse across-Media.. SAMT (Posters and Demos), Vol. 233
- View this article in WRRO Oh my, where is the end of the context?: dealing with information in a highly complex environment.. IIiX (pp 37-41)
- Acquiring and Sharing Knowledge in Large Organizations: Issues, Requirements and Methodologies.. AIMSA, Vol. 4183 (pp 2-2)
- Oh my, where is the end of the context? Dealing with information in a highly complex environment. INFORMATION INTERACTION IN CONTEXT, PROCEEDINGS (pp 64-72)
- Evaluating machine learning for information extraction.. ICML, Vol. 119 (pp 345-352)
- Document editing and browsing in AKTiveDoc.. ACM Symposium on Document Engineering (pp 237-238)
- View this article in WRRO Working out a common task: Design and evaluation of user-intelligent system collaboration. HUMAN-COMPUTER INTERACTION - INTERACT 2005, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 3585 (pp 309-322)
- View this article in WRRO Semantic Web-based document: Editing and browsing in AktiveDoc. SEMANTIC WEB: RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 3532 (pp 623-632)
- Orchestration of Semantic Web services for large-scale document annotation. SEMANTIC WEB: RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 3532 (pp 649-663)
- Armadillo: harvesting information for the semantic web.. SIGIR (pp 598-598)
- Learning to harvest information for the semantic web. SEMANTIC WEB: RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, Vol. 3053 (pp 312-326)
- CS AKTiveSpace: Building a semantic web application. SEMANTIC WEB: RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, Vol. 3053 (pp 417-432)
- Mining web sites using adaptive information extraction. Proceedings of the tenth conference on European chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics - EACL '03, 12 April 2003 - 17 April 2003.
- Integrating Information to Bootstrap Information Extraction from Web Sites.. IIWeb (pp 9-14)
- Mining Web Sites Using Unsupervised Adaptive Information Extraction.. EACL (pp 75-78)
- Using adaptive information extraction for effective human-centred document annotation. TEXT MINING: THEORETICAL ASPECTS AND APPLICATIONS (pp 153-163)
- Adaptive information extraction for document annotation in amilcare.. SIGIR (pp 451-451)
- Amilcare: adaptive information extraction for document annotation.. SIGIR (pp 367-368)
- View this article in WRRO User-system cooperation in document annotation based on information extraction. KNOWLEDGE ENGINEERING AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 2473 (pp 122-137)
- S-CREAM - Semi-automatic CREAtion of metadata. KNOWLEDGE ENGINEERING AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 2473 (pp 358-372)
- MnM: Ontology driven semi-automatic and automatic support for semantic markup. KNOWLEDGE ENGINEERING AND KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 2473 (pp 379-391)
- User-centred ontology learning for knowledge management. NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS, Vol. 2553 (pp 203-207)
- Using HLT for acquiring, retrieving and publishing knowledge in AKT. Proceedings of the workshop on Human Language Technology and Knowledge Management -, 6 July 2001 - 7 July 2001.
- Adaptive Information Extraction from Text by Rule Induction and Generalisation.. IJCAI (pp 1251-1256)
- Knowledge Acquisition for Knowledge Management.. Workshop on Ontology Learning, Vol. 38
- Bringing information extraction out of the labs: the Pinocchio environment. ECAI 2000: 14TH EUROPEAN CONFERENCE ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 54 (pp 416-420)
- Flexible text classification for financial applications: The FACILE system. ECAI 2000: 14TH EUROPEAN CONFERENCE ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 54 (pp 696-700)
- Full text parsing using cascades of rules: an information extraction perspective. NINTH CONFERENCE OF THE EUROPEAN CHAPTER OF THE ASSOCIATION FOR COMPUTATIONAL LINGUISTICS, PROCEEDINGS (pp 102-109)
- FACILE: Classifying texts integrating pattern matching and information extraction. IJCAI-99: PROCEEDINGS OF THE SIXTEENTH INTERNATIONAL JOINT CONFERENCE ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, VOLS 1 & 2 (pp 890-895)
- Integrating shallow and linguistic techniques for information extraction from text. TOPICS IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE, Vol. 992 (pp 127-138)
- Coping with Modifiers in a Restricted Domain.. AI*IA, Vol. 728 (pp 266-271)
- Knowledge Extraction From Texts By Sintesi.. COLING (pp 1244-1248)
- Syntax and semantics in a text interpretation system.. RIAO (pp 684-695)
- A Semantic Knowledge Management Framework for Informal Communication Exchanges. 10th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC2011)
- View this article in WRRO RP-DNN: A Tweet level propagation context based deep neural networks for early rumor detection in Social Media. The LREC 2020 Proceedings. The International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation
- A remote home visit? : Exploring the possibilities for therapists. AAATE, 11 September 2017 - 15 June 2017.
- Mining Equivalent Relations from Linked Data. http://aclweb.org/anthology/P/P13/P13-2052.pdf. Sofia, Bulgaria, 4 August 2013 - 9 August 2013.
- Statistical Knowledge Patterns: Identifying Synonymous Relations in Large Linked Datasets. International Semantic Web Conference ISWC 2013. Sydney, Australia, 21 October 2013 - 25 October 2013.
- Identifying information needs by modelling collective query patterns. Consuming Linked Data Workshop (COLD 2011). Located at the 10th International Semantic Web Conferenc, Vol. 782. Bonn, Germany, 23 October 2011 - 27 October 2011.
- Improving semantic search using query logs analysis. Interacting with Linked Data (ILD 2012) Workshop. Located at the 9th Extended Semantic Web Conferenc. Heraklion, Greece, May 2012 - May 2012.
University Technology Centre on Artificial Intelligence for Defence and Security, funder DSTL, 2020 - present, as PI
The Automated Traveller II, DSTL, 2020 - 2021, as PI
A new resource for behavioural science - Developing tools for understanding the relationship between behaviours, ESRC, 01/2021 - 12/2022, £551,316, as Co-PI
Mobilise-D: Connecting digital mobility assessment to clinical outcomes for regulatory and clinical endorsement, EC H2020, 04/2019 - 03/2024, £1,227,496, as Co-PI
- The Automated Traveller, DSTL, 2019 - 2020, as PI
- Early detection of Papilloedema and Diabetic Retinopathy, Innovate UK, 11/2018 - 09/2019, £58,611, as Co-PI
- SETA: An open, sustainable, ubiquitous data and service ecosystem for efficient, effective, safe, resilient mobility in metropolitan areas, EC H2020, 02/2016 - 01/2019, £970,000, as PI
- Sustained Process Excellence through Embedding of Analytics and Knowledge Management into Process Chains, Innovate UK, 10/2014 - 03/2016, £95,350, as Co-PI
- Crowdsourcing for Observations from Satellites, European Space Agency France, 02/2015 - 03/2016, £85,360, as PI
- ReDites: Real Time, Detection, Tracking, Monitoring and Interpretation of Events in Social Media, EPSRC, 07/2013 - 07/2014, £51,398, as PI
- WeSenseIT: Citizen Observatories of Water, EC FP7, 10/2012 - 09/2016, £817,196, as PI
- Time to change! Using the transition from school to university to promote healthy lifestyle habits in young people, MRC, 04/2012 - 12/2014, £330,463, as Co-PI
- The BIG Energy Upgrade, European Regional Development Fund, 07/2010 - 03/2014, £865,090, as Co-PI
- Siloet, Rolls Royce PLC, 03/2010 - 12/2013, £140,000, as PI
- Samulet, Rolls Royce PLC, 11/2009 - 12/2013, £100,000, as PI
- TRIDS: Tracking Real-time Intelligence in Data Streams, Innovate UK, 07/2011 - 12/2011, £49,184, as PI
- SEALS: Semantic Evaluation At Large Scale, EC FP7, 06/2009 - 06/2012, £251,236, as PI
- SmartProducts: Proactive Knowledge for Smart Products, EC FP7, 02/2009 - 01/2012, £554,594, as PI
- Rolls Royce, Rolls Royce PLC, 10/2008 - 06/2009, £91,349, as PI
- weKnowIt: Emerging, Collective Intelligence for personal, organisational and social use, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 04/2008 - 03/2011, £607,521, as PI
- Archaeotools: Data mining, facetted classification and E-archaeology, University of York, 09/2007 - 08/2009, £146,591, as PI
- MultiMATCH: Multilingual/Multimedia Access to Cultural Heritage, EC FP7, 05/2006 - 10/2008, £237,101, as Co-PI
- ARMADILLO: Information Mining in Distributive Research Datasets in the Arts and Humanities, AHRC (AHRC), 10/2005 - 10/2007, £35,856, as PI
- X-Media: Knowledge Sharing and Reuse Across Media, EC FP7, 03/2006 - 02/2010, £1,431,822, as PI
- IPAS: Integrated Products and Services, Department of Trade and Industry, 04/2005 - 09/2008, £222,225, as PI
- Collaboration with Environmental Agency, Environment Agency, 04/2005 - 05/2006, £20,000, as PI
- Abraxas: Automating Ontology Learning for the Semantic Web, EPSRC, 10/2004 - 01/2007, £164,614, as Co-PI
- Dot.Kom: Designing adaptive infOrmation exTraction from text for KnOwledge Management, EC FP6, 10/2002 - 03/2005, £447,455, as PI
- Professional activities
- Head of the Organisations, Information and Knowledge research group
- Academic Director of University Technology Centre on Artificial Intelligence for Defence and Security
Recent projects for the University Technology Centre:
- 2019-2020 The Automated Traveller, funder Defence Science and Technology Lab, undisclosed amount
- 2020-2021 The Automated Traveller II, funder Defence Science and Technology Lab, undisclosed amount
- 2020-present University Technology Centre on Artificial Intelligence for Defence and Security, funder Defence Science and Technology Lab, undisclosed amount
Fabio Ciravegna has created three spin-out companies. He is:
- Co-founder, CEO and Director of Aeqora Ltd, a University of Sheffield spin-off Company providing mobility services
- Co-founder and Director of K-Now Technologies Ltd, a University of Sheffield spin-off company
- Co-founder and Scientific Advisor to The Floow, a company providing telematics motor insurance solutions