- Social Companions
- Computational pragmatics, including the Companions paradigm of an embodied, persistent conversational personality, the ViewGen belief manipulation system and a range of dialogue system building projects using machine learning methods: Amities, Comic and Fasil. My most recent books have been Machine Conversations (Kluwer, 1999) and Artificial Believers (Erlbaum, 1991, with Afzal Ballim).
- Computational Lexicon research, including the notion of lexical tuning, and novel methods for accessing and distributing resources within an architecture like GATE. My most recent book was Electric Words (MIT Press, 1996, with Louise Guthrie and Brian Slator). Download a recent Journal of Semantics or Journal of Experimental and Theoretical AI article here.
- Information extraction, in an evaluated framework so as to compare methods, such as pattern matching and full parsing. Download a recent paper on the relationship of representational/AI methods to antirepresentational/IR methods here.
- NAMIC: News Agencies Multilingual Information Categorisation, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 03/2000 to 04/2002, £211,023, as PI
- AKT: Advanced Knowledge Technologies, UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON, 10/2000 to 06/2007, £1,128,294, as PI
- MUMIS: Multimedia indexing and searching environment, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 07/2000 to 12/2002, £214,243, as PI
- COMIC: Conversational Multimodal Interaction with Computers, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 03/2002 to 02/2005, £291,438, as PI
- Balric-Ling: BALkan Regional Information Centers for Awareness and Standardisation of LINGuistic Resources and Tools for Advanced HLT Applications, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 10/2001 to 03/2003, £29,379, as PI
- AMITIES: Automated Multilingual Interaction with Information and Services, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 05/2001 to 04/2005, £105,945, as PI
- AMITIES: Automated Multilingual Interaction with Information and Services, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 05/2001 to 04/2005, £447,234, as PI
- FASIL: Flexible and Adaptive Spoken Language and Multi-Modal Interfaces, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 10/2002 to 09/2004, £221,770, as PI
- Chinese and Arabic versions of the MUSE system, GOVERNMENT COMMUNICATIONS HEADQUARTERS, 01/2000 to 02/2004, £127,936, as PI
- MIAKT: Grid enabled knowledge services: collaborative problem solving environments in medical informartics, UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON, 09/2002 to 12/2004, £120,507, as PI
- Abraxas: Automating Ontology Learning for the Semantic Web, EPSRC, 10/2004 to 01/2007, £164,614, as PI
- LOIS: Lexical ontologies for legal information sharing, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 03/2004 to 02/2006, £54,209, as Co-PI
- Cronopath: Timeline and named entity extraction for hyperlink corpora, EPSRC, 07/2005 to 12/2007, £294,632, as PI
- Integrated Products and Services (IPAS), DEPARTMENT OF TRADE AND INDUSTRY, 04/2005 to 09/2008, £222,225, as Co-PI
- REVEAL: The identification of anomalous segments in text on a large scale., GOVERNMENT COMMUNICATIONS HEADQUARTERS, 03/2005 to 02/2007, £149,894, as Co-PI
- HUMAINE, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 01/2005 to 12/2007, £10,255, as PI
- Studentship, GOVERNMENT COMMUNICATIONS HEADQUARTERS, 03/2006 to 07/2009, £348,020, as Co-PI
- FLaReNet: Fostering Language Resources Network, EUROPEAN COMMISSION - FP6/FP7, 09/2008 to 08/2011, £6,691, as PI
- Reveal II, GOVERNMENT COMMUNICATIONS HEADQUARTERS, 10/2008 to 03/2010, £141,763, as Co-PI