PhD with Integrated Studies

We offer a 4 year PhD with integrated studies in Advanced Computer Science.

What is the PhD with Integrated Studies?

Essentially this option combines a one-year specialised taught MSc programme with a three-year individual research PhD. We recommend this option for applicants who are specifically seeking a four-year programme and/or those wishing to enhance their specialist knowledge and skills before commencing their research.

Entry qualifications

A good undergraduate Honours degree (2:1 or better) in a relevant science, or engineering subject, evidence of a potential to carry out research study successfully, and an approved English Language Qualification.

Programme assessment

All of the taught modules will be assessed by coursework and/or formal examination. Assessment of the MSc and doctoral theses will be by written report and oral examination.

It should be noted that transfer from the MSc onto the MPhil/PhD will normally require distinction-level performance on the MSc. Similarly, students on this programme will be expected to follow the normal departmental procedures for PhD Confirmation at the end of the second year.

Advanced Computer Science at Sheffield

Many of the grand challenges facing us in the 21st century demand a deep understanding of large scale complex systems (systems biology, finance, climate, etc). In many of these domains computational modelling techniques are starting to provide useful insight. Students entering the advanced computer science PhD with integrated studies programme will be introduced to state-of-the art modelling and simulation techniques, both from a software engineering and machine learning perspective. Directed by their own interests, and in accordance with their undergraduate experience, students will then have an opportunity to specialise in one of the areas in which the department has expertise, including speech and language processing, cognition and robotics, and systems biology.

How to Apply

For more information please visit the Research Opportunities web pages or contact our PhD administrator.