We are offering four scholarships worth £2,000 for new Undergraduate Computer Science students starting in September 2020 from widening participation backgrounds.
epiGenesys is sponsoring four scholarships (paid as a cash payment in your first year of study) worth £2,000 for new Undergraduate Computer Science students starting in September 2020 from widening participation backgrounds. Students who are eligible for a university bursary will be invited by email to submit an application for the Scholarship in October.
To be eligible for the scholarship you must
- commence your undergraduate studies in the Department of Computer Science in 2020
- be a Home fee paying student
- be eligible for a university bursary
How to apply
Eligible students will be emailed in October 2020 with a link to the application form.
A selection panel, including representatives from the Department of Computer Science and from our ED&I (Equality, Diversity & Inclusivity) Committee, will consider your scholarship application. When making their decision, the panel members will take into consideration the widening participation criteria you meet and also give regard to your answers within the application form.
- Widening participation criteria
- If you come from an area where it is unusual for people to go to university. This is defined by the government's classification called POLAR 3 and 4, to meet this criteria your address must fall into quintile 1 or 2 in the young participation quintile. You can check your postcode quintile using the POLAR search tool.
- If you are female
- If you are from a black and minority ethnic group
- If you have been in care as a looked-after child for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14.
- If you have a disability
- If you are a carer for an ill or disabled family member.
About funding for the epiGenesys Scholarships
The money for these scholarships is provided by donations from epiGenesys. epiGenesys is a subsidiary company of the University that specialises in agile software development for the education and health research sectors.
- epiGenesys Scholarship FAQs
I'm an EU student, can I apply?
EU students who meet all of the criteria listed above are welcome to apply for an epiGenesys Scholarship.
Students from the EU, who are not eligible to receive a Maintenance Loan from Student Finance, will be asked to provide evidence to confirm their household income.
Can international students apply?
No, you need to be eligible to pay the home rate fees for your course to apply.
How will I know if I'm eligible for a University bursary in order to apply for this scholarship?
The financial support team who administer the bursary will invite all eligible students to apply in October.
- Further information
For your application to be considered you must be a fully registered student in the Department of Computer Science by the application deadline.
Scholarships will be paid directly into your bank account.
As a scholarship recipient, at the end of your first academic year you will be asked to provide a short report outlining the past year and how the scholarship has helped you. We may include this information (with your permission) in our publicity material and on our webpages.
If you are an EU student you will be asked to provide evidence to confirm that your household income is equivalent to the university bursary scheme.
Find the right course for you.