Dr Adrian Jowett
School of Clinical Dentistry
Senior Clinical Teacher
BSc Programme Lead
+44 114 215 9329
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
I joined the School of Clinical Dentistry in 2002 after almost 10 years in the Department of Biomedical Science. I have taught across all years of the BDS and DH&DT programmes in a range of topics from anatomical science to management of patients in primary care. As the university lead for the Dental Practice Unit and the Outreach lead I have a significant responsibility for students’ learning about primary dental care which will be the career destination for most.
From 2019 I am the programme lead for the non-clinical BSc programme in Bio-dental Science and Technology.
- Research interests
I am currently on a teaching-specialist contract and support colleagues in projects. My current interests focus on:
- Methods of supporting non-traditional students to apply for dental training
- How students reflect on their experiences as they transition from dental school to Foundation Training
- Nuts, Balls and Rocks. Cava Cadavers.
- Principles of Anatomy and Oral Anatomy for Dental Students. Cava Cadavers.
- Using storytelling to improve student experience of outreach placements. British Dental Journal, 228(2), 123-127.
- Evaluation of Osteogenic and Cementogenic Potential of Periodontal Ligament Fibroblast Spheroids Using a Three-DimensionalIn VitroModel of Periodontium. International Journal of Dentistry, 2015, 1-9. View this article in WRRO
- A double blind randomised controlled clinical trial comparing a novel anti-stain and calculus reducing dentifrice with a standard fluoride dentifrice. Journal of Dentistry, 41(4), 313-320.
- Characterization of Periodontal Fibroblast Spheroids In Vitro. Chiang Mai Journal of Science, 40, 1020-1029.
- Biologic interaction of three-dimensional periodontal fibroblast spheroids with collagen-based and synthetic membranes.. J Periodontol, 82(5), 790-797.
- Psychosocial impact of periodontal disease and its treatment with 24-h root surface debridement.. J Clin Periodontol, 36(5), 413-418.
- A pilot study of in-vitro gingival fibroblast differentiation in spheroid culture. European Cells and Materials, 11(SUPPL.2), 61.
- Did the Market force Subject Review? A case study. Active Learning in Higher Education, 6, 73-86.
- Mucosa and Taste Buds of the Human Epiglottis. Journal of Anatomy, 193, 617-618.
- Molecular mechanisms of cell and tissue interactions during early tooth development.. Anat Rec, 245(2), 151-161.
- Murine MLP: cloning and expression in the embryonic head.. J Craniofac Genet Dev Biol, 16(2), 65-73.
- Sialylation of terminal saccharides of glycoconjugates expressed by murine molar tooth germs developing in vitro and in vivo.. J Anat, 185 ( Pt 1), 85-94.
- Epithelial-mesenchymal interactions are required for msx 1 and msx 2 gene expression in the developing murine molar tooth.. Development, 117(2), 461-470.
- Identification of BMP-4 as a signal mediating secondary induction between epithelial and mesenchymal tissues during early tooth development. Cell, 75, 45-58.
- Immunofluorescent lectin binding patterns and glycoprotein co-localization in the developing murine molar tooth.. Arch Oral Biol, 37(4), 303-314.
- Morphometric analysis of the developing murine molar tooth in vivo and in vitro.. J Anat, 177, 135-144.
- The homeobox gene Hox 7.1 has specific regional and temporal expression patterns during early murine craniofacial embryogenesis, especially tooth development in vivo and in vitro.. Development, 111(2), 269-285.
- Biocompatibility testing of a posterior composite and dental cements using a new organ culture model.. J Dent, 17(4), 155-161.
- In vitro biocompatibility testing: a new organ culture model.. J Dent, 16(2), 55-65.
- Research group
I am currently on a teaching-specialist contract but have successfully supervised postgraduate students previously and would be willing to be a second supervisor for suitable projects and students.
- 5 PhD students supervised, funded by a range of sponsors including MRC, BBSRC, Malaysian and Pakistani Governments
- 5 MMedSci project students supervised, funded by a range of sponsors including The British Council and Malaysian Government
- Teaching activities
- Academic tutor for 1st BSc students
- Cross infection control
- Development of the head and neck
- Dental trauma
- Outreach training
- VR-SIMS for Clinical Skills
- BDS restorative and primary care clinics
- Stepping stones
- Outreach training days
- Professional activities
Previous Leadership at The University of Sheffield
- Theme Lead for BODC 2008 to 2012
- Deputy Director of Learning and Teaching for QA 2012 to 2014
- Director of Learning and Teaching 2014 to 2019
- Faculty Director of Learning and Teaching 2017 to 2019
Current & Previous Examinerships
- BSc at King’s College
- BDS at Birmingham, Dundee, King’s College
- DH&DT at Eastman Dental Institute
- MJDF Part 1 Coordinator at RCS (Eng)
- GDC IQE assessor
- External examiner for 9 PhD theses, 2 MPhil dissertations, 1 MD dissertation
- Internal examiner for 1 MPhil and 2 PhD theses
- Internal coordinator for 2 PhD theses