Professor Philip Benson
PhD, FDS (Orth)
School of Clinical Dentistry
Emeritus Professor of Orthodontics
+44 114 215 9391
Full contact details
School of Clinical Dentistry
19 Claremont Crescent
I retired from the University in September 2021 after 21 years. I have been granted honorary Emeritus Professor of Orthodontics and hope to continue some scholarly research activities.
- Research interests
I undertake research relevant to the clinical practice of orthodontics. My primary research interest is investigating the effectiveness of contemporary orthodontic techniques and practice. I am the principal or co-author on five systematic reviews published in the Cochrane Library and I have planned, coordinated and completed several randomised controlled clinical trials. I am also interested in oral health-related quality of life and the development of patient-reported outcomes (PROs) to measure the impact of malocclusion and orthodontic treatment on young peoples’ everyday lives.
I collaborated with orthodontic colleagues at UCL Eastman Dental Institute, London to develop the Malocclusion Impact Questionnaire (MIQ), which assesses the day-to-day affect that malocclusion has on young people. We have recently developed the Orthodontic Treatment Impact Questionnaire (OTIQ) for assessing the day-to-day affect of orthodontic appliances (braces) on young people. Both measures are designed to be used as validated patient-reported outcome measures in clinical trials. For more information about these measures please complete this contact form.
- Interventions for promoting the eruption of palatally displaced permanent canine teeth, without the need for surgical exposure, in children aged 9 to 14 years.. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2021(12). View this article in WRRO
- Research group
Hanieh Javidi - RCS-BOS Clinical Research Fellow and Senior Specialist Trainee in Orthodontics;
Thitika Kimise - Postgraduate Research Student
- Teaching activities
I am no longer involved in teaching clinical orthodontics or managing the undergraduate or postgraduate programmes.
- Professional activities and memberships
- National Institute for Health Research Academic Training Lead for Sheffield Dental Academic Trainees, September 2018 to present;
- University Teachers Group representative on the Orthodontic Standing Advisory Committee (SAC) - January 2020 to December 2024;
- Examiner for the Membership in Orthodontics examination at the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh;
- Member of the Editorial Board, The Angle Orthodontist – January 2017 to December 2023;
- External Assessor in Orthodontics at the University of Malaya - Jan 2019 to Dec 2021;
- External Assessor for promotions King Saud University (2020-21);
- Member of the Clinical Orthodontic Research Collaboration, a group of UK and Ireland orthodontic researchers, who meet regularly to organise collaborative clinical research projects;
- Referee for national orthodontic prizes and for many international journals;
I am no longer practicing clinical orthodontics.