Evaluation of health care
Health Services Research (Health Technology Assessment) aims to improve the quality of health services. It is concerned with the costs and effects of interventions and the use of the information obtained for policy and decision making at national, local and clinical levels. The group conducts HSR in a variety of ways including:
- Quantitative and qualitative evaluations of healthcare interventions.
- Needs assessments.
- Workforce reviews.
- 2010. Marshman Z, Robinson PG. Review of Special Care Dentistry in Derbyshire, NHS Derbyshire, £30,000. This project has involved a review of special care dentistry services in Derbyshire with recommendations for the commissioning and provision of services to special care groups.
- 2009. Rodd HD, Marshman Z, Gilchrist, F, Deery C. Evaluation of Children’s Experiences of Dental GA Services in Sheffield, NHS Sheffield, £50,000. This project has used video-diary methods to seek children’s perspectives on having a general anaesthetic for dental treatment. The findings will result in better information to improve patient experience.
- 2009. Marshman Z, Robinson PG. Review of Oral Health Promotion in Derbyshire, NHS Derbyshire, £39,000. This work has involved a review of oral health promotion activity in Derbyshire with recommendations for both the commissioning and provision of oral health promotion services.
- 2008. Marshman Z, Robinson PG. Evaluation of Fluoride Varnish Training for Dental Nurses in South Yorkshire, NHS Sheffield, £30,000. This project has evaluated the training of dental nurses in the application of fluoride varnish. It investigated the dental nurse’s experiences of taking part in the training including the taught component, the assessment of competence and the dental nurses opportunities to apply fluoride varnish in practice following the course.
- 2008. Marshman Z, Owens J, Rodd HD. Oral Health Needs Assessment of Children and Adults with Learning Disabilities in Sheffield, NHS Sheffield £56,000. This oral health needs assessment included a clinical survey, qualitative exploration and a postal questionnaire of children and adults with learning disabilities in Sheffield. The use of participatory methods has ensured for the first time that their views on oral health and dental services have been heard and incorporated into recommendations for commissioning to the Primary Care Trust.
- 2007. Benson PE, Millett D. Resin-modified glass ionomer or composite for orthodontic bonding? - A multi-centre, randomised, single blinded clinical trial. £33,184
- NHS Health Technology Assessment Programme. Speight P, Moles D, Downer M, Palmer N. £67,300. This major programme involved the collection of costing data, three systematic reviews and development of a computer simulation model. Data showed that opportunistic screening in primary care may be cost-effective. Value of Perfect Information analyses identified suitable areas where research can be most effectively targeted. This work will inform national policy. The group (with Baker) are now evaluating factors which may affect referral of relevant lesions from primary to secondary care.
Durham J, Exley C, Wassell RW, Moufti MA, Robinson PG, Steele J. Patients’ with Temporomandibular Disorders journey through care. In press, Community Dentistry Oral Epidemiology
Nilchian F, Rodd HD, Robinson PG. The success of fissure sealants placed by dentists and DCPs. Community Dental Health. 2011
Deacon SA, Glenny AM, Deery C, Robinson PG, Heanue M, Walmsley AD, Shaw WC. Different powered toothbrushes for plaque control and gingival health. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2010 Dec 8;12:CD004971.
Dyer TA, Humphris G, Robinson PG. Public awareness and social acceptability of dental therapists. Br Dent J 2010; 208: E2; discussion 16-17.
Dyer TA, Green J, Skinner J. et al. A health equity audit of oral health and NHS general dental services in Sheffield, England. Community Dent Health 2010; 27: 68-73.
Harris JC, Bradbury J, Porritt J, Nilchian F, Franklin CD. NHS dental professionals' evaluation of a child protection learning resource. Br Dent J. 2011;210:75-9.
Ni Chaollai A, Robertson S, Dyer TA, Balmer RC, Fayle SA. A evaluation of paediatric dental general anaethesia in Yorkshire and the Humber. Br Dent J; 209(12): E20. Epub 2010 Nov 26.
Smith M, Lennon M A, Robinson P G. Students’ Clinical Experience on Outreach Placements. European Journal of Dental Education. 2010;14:7–11
Dyer TA, Dhamija AC. Evaluation of an NHS practice-based minor oral surgery service. Br Dent J 2009; 207: 577-582.
Dyer TA, Robinson PG. Public awareness and social acceptability of dental therapists. Int J Dent Hyg 2009; 7: 108-114.
Nilchian F, Rodd HD, Robinson PG. Influences on dentists' decisions to refer paediatric patients to dental care professionals for fissure sealants: a qualitative approach. Br Dent J 2009;E13:
Parkin N, Benson PE, Shah A, Thind B, Marshman Z, Glenroy G and Dyer F. Extraction of primary (baby) teeth for unerupted palatally displaced permanent canine teeth in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009; CD004621
Smith M, Lennon M A, Robinson P G. RCT of the effects of block absence for outreach placements on dental students’ finals grades. Eur J Dent Ed 2009; 13: 38-30.
Dyer TA, Robinson PG. Exploring the social acceptability of skill-mix. Int Dent J 2008; 58: 173-180.
Heyes G, Robinson PG. Pilot study to assess the validity of the Single Assessment Process as a screening tool for dental treatment needs in older people. Gerodontology. 2008;25:237-248
Parkin N, Benson PE, Thind B and Shah A. Open versus closed surgical exposure of canine teeth that are displaced in the roof of the mouth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008; CD006966
Sandler J, Benson PE, Doyle P, Majumder A, O'Dwyer J, Speight P, Thiruvenkatachari B and Tinsley D. Palatal implants are a good alternative to headgear: a randomized trial. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics 2008; 133: 51-7
Baird WO, Jackson RJ, Worthington LS and Robinson PG. Perspectives of General Dental Practitioners ahead of the “new ways of working” Br Dent J. 2007 May 26;202(10):E24
Benson PE, Tinsley D, O'Dwyer JJ, Majumdar A, Doyle P and Sandler PJ. Midpalatal implants vs headgear for orthodontic anchorage--a randomized clinical trial: cephalometric results.
American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics 2007; 132: 606-15
Jackson RJ, Baird WO, Worthington L, Robinson PG The dental care professionals (DCPs) workforce in South Yorkshire in 2004. Primary Dent Care. 2007;17:320-7
Pearson NK, Gibson BJ, Davis DM, Gelbier S, Robinson PG. The effect of a domiciliary denture service on oral health quality of life: a randomised controlled trial. In Press. Br Dent J. 2007;203:E3
Renz A, Ide M, Newton T, Robinson PG, Smith D. Psychological interventions to improve adherence to oral hygiene instructions in adults with periodontal diseases. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007 Apr 18;(2):CD005097
Dyer T and Robinson PG General Health Promotion in General Dental Practice – The Involvement of the Dental Team. part 1 – A Review of the Evidence of Effectiveness of Brief Public Health Interventions. Br Dent J. 2006;200:679-85
Dyer T and Robinson PG. General Health Promotion in General Dental Practice – The Involvement of the Dental Team. part 2 - A Qualitative and Quantitative Investigation of the Views of Practice Principals in South Yorkshire. Br Dent J. 2006;201:45-51
Murphy TC, Parkin NA, Willmot DR, Robinson PG. The Feminisation of the Orthodontic Workforce. Br Dent J. 2006;201:355-7.
Robinson PG. Implications of HIV Disease for Oral Health Services. Advances in Dental Research 2006;19:73-79.
Robinson PG, Walmsley AD, Henue M, Deacon S, Deery C, Glenny AM, Worthington H, Shaw W. Quality of trials in a systematic review of powered toothbrushes: Suggestions for future clinical trials. J Periodontol 2006;77:1944-53
Smith M, Lennon MA, Brook AH, Blinkhorn FA, Blinkhorn AS, and Robinson PG. The Effect of Outreach Placement on Treatment Planning by Dental Students. Br Dent J. 2006;201:27-31.
Smith M, Lennon MA, Brook AH, Robinson PG. A randomized controlled trial of outreach placement's effect on dental students' clinical confidence. J Dent Educ. 2006;70:566-70
Robinson PG, Deacon SA, Deery C, Heanue M, Walmsley AD, Worthington HV, Glenny AM, Shaw WC. Manual versus powered toothbrushing for oral health. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005, Issue 2. Art. No.: CD002281.pub2. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD002281.pub2.
Robinson PG, Pankhurst CL, Garrett EJ. Randomised controlled trial: Effect of a reservoir biteguard on quality of life in xerostomia. J Oral Pathol Med 2005;34:193-7.
Robinson PG, Willmot D, Parkin N, Hall A. Report of the Orthodontic Workforce Survey of the United Kingdom University of Sheffield. 2005.