Dr Rosalyn Ferguson
Department for Lifelong Learning
University Tutor: Foundation Programme
Rosalyn studied Microbiology (BSc Hons) at the University of Edinburgh. She then studied at Queen’s University, Belfast, where she completed a PGCE in primary school teaching and an MSc in Clinical Laboratory Medicine.
Following her studies, Rosalyn worked in industry as a microbiologist before returning to Queen’s to study for a PhD in Cell Biology. She then worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Ichan School of Medicine, New York, on the link between type 2 diabetes and breast cancer metastasis.
Rosalyn then returned to the UK and worked as a medical writer on pharmacotherapies for diabetes and obesity before taking up a position as a lecturer in Biomedical Science at the University of Derby where she obtained her FHEA qualification.
Rosalyn joined the DLL as a University Tutor in Human Biology and Health in 2017.
- Research interests
Rosalyn has a particular interest in how prediabetes, type 2 diabetes and obesity impact on health, particularly cancer incidence and progression.
- Teaching activities
Rosalyn teaches on several modules for the Department of Lifelong Learning, including Foundations of Biology, Introduction to Health and Maths and Statistics.
- Ferguson RD, Gallagher EJ, Scheinman EJ, Damouni R, LeRoith D. The epidemiology and molecular mechanisms linking obesity, diabetes, and cancer. Vitam Horm. 2013;93:51-98. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23810003.
- Alikhani N, Ferguson RD, Novosyadlyy R, Gallagher EJ, Scheinman EJ, Yakar S, LeRoith D. Mammary tumor growth and pulmonary metastasis are enhanced in a hyperlipidemic mouse model. Oncogene. 2013 Feb 21;32(8):961-7. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22469977
- Ferguson RD, Gallagher EJ, Cohen D, Tobin-Hess A, Alikhani N, Novosyadlyy R, Haddad N, Yakar S, LeRoith D. Hyperinsulinemia promotes metastasis to the lung in a mouse model of Her2-mediated breast cancer. Endocr Relat Cancer. 2013 May 21;20(3):391-401. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23572162.
- Ferguson RD, Novosyadlyy R, Fierz Y, Alikhani N, Sun H, Yakar S, Leroith D. Hyperinsulinemia enhances c-Myc-mediated mammary tumor development and advances metastatic progression to the lung in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes. Breast Cancer Res. 2012 Jan 7;14(1):R8. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22226054.
- Gallagher EJ, Fierz Y, Ferguson RD, LeRoith D. The pathway from diabetes and obesity to cancer, on the route to targeted therapy. Endocr Pract. 2010 Sep-Oct;16(5):864-73. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20841312.
- Rosalyn D. Ferguson and Derek LeRoith. Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes and Cancer. In ‘Insulin-like Growth Factors and Cancer: From Basic Biology to Therapeutics’ Edited by Derek LeRoith. Springer Science and Business Media 2011. https://books.google.co.uk/Insulin-like growth factors and Cancer.
- Rosalyn D. Ferguson, Nyosha Alikhani, Archana Vijayakumar, Yvonne Fierz, Dara Cannata and Shoshana Yakar. IGF-1 cellular action and its relationship to cancer: In Vitro and In Vivo studies. In ‘Insulin-like Growth Factors and Cancer: From Basic Biology to Therapeutics’ Edited by Derek LeRoith. Springer Science and Business Media 2011. https://books.google.co.uk/Insulin-like growth factors and Cancer.