Our extensive refurbishment is now complete and Monday 4 August 2014 saw the Department of Economics return to 9 Mappin Street.
So what's changed?
- On the ground floor, there is now an extensive social space for economics students, with sofas, low tables, Wi-Fi, computer facilities, information screens, and vending machines. So now you can meet up with other students, use the computers, and catch up with the latest news and developments in economics.
- The department’s Student Support and Enquiry Office is now on the 4th floor (Room 435). The reception desk is directly ahead of you as you exit from the central stairwell/lift.
- The venues for staff Consultation and Feedback (C&F) times will be back in individual staff offices which are all located on the 4th and 5th floors. C&F times for academic year 2014/15 will be published on MOLE in due course.
- As part of the University’s commitment to reducing and managing its environmental impact there will be new recycling facilities around the building. Please use them appropriately to support this initiative.
- All the seminar rooms in 9 Mappin Street have also been completely rebuilt as part of the refurbishment.
- State of the art ventilation system that reacts to the amount of people in the room at any one time.
9 Mappin Street facts, in numbers
- 8 refurbished pool seminar rooms
- 12 plug sockets in the student social space to charge mobile devices
- 22 female toilets in the building
- 40 desks for Economics PhD students (3rd floor)
- 45 lounge seats in student social area
- 51 new recycling bins
- 70 inches the size of the plasma screens in seven of the new pool seminar rooms
- 192 windows throughout the building