Dr Nadena Doharty SFHEA
BA (Hons), PGCE FE, MA, PhD
School of Education
Deputy MA Programme Director
Lecturer in Education, Culture and Childhood
+44 114 222 8138
Full contact details
School of Education
Edgar Allen House
241 Glossop Rd
- Research interests
Dr Nadena Doharty is a sociologist of education working in the School of Education at the University of Sheffield. Nadena read her undergraduate degree in Sociology and Politics and a postgraduate degree in International Relations at Goldsmith’s College, University of London.
After a PGCE specialising in Sociology and Politics, Nadena earned her PhD at the University of Keele. Nadena's areas of research include Sociology of Education, Black History, inequalities in education, racialised identities in schooling, Critical Race Theories, and critical/anti-racist pedagogies.
- “If she runs away, i’ll get to whip her”: anti-black humour and stereotyping in school. British Journal of Sociology of Education, 1-16. View this article in WRRO
- "The university went to ‘decolonise’ and all they brought back was lousy diversity double-speak! Critical race counter-stories from faculty of colour in ‘decolonial’ times". Educational Philosophy and Theory. View this article in WRRO
- The ‘angry Black woman’ as intellectual bondage : being strategically emotional on the academic plantation. Race Ethnicity and Education. View this article in WRRO
- ‘I FELT DEAD’: applying a racial microaggressions framework to Black students’ experiences of Black History Month and Black History*. Race Ethnicity and Education, 22(1), 1-20.
- ‘Is it because I’m black?’: personal reflections on Stuart Hall’s memoirFamiliar Stranger: A Life Between Two Islands. Identities, 25(1), 14-21.
- View this article in WRRO Black history and national policy in England: legitimising anti-Blackness, 1950s-present day In King L (Ed.), Perspective on Black History in Schools Information Age Publishing
- View this article in WRRO Inside the Ivory Tower: Narratives of women of colour surviving and thriving in British academia (2017). Caribbean Review of Gender Studies(13), 223-230.
- Teaching activities
Nadena is contributing to the BA and MA programmes, as well as to the EdD programme, and doctoral supervision. Nadena also has the responsibility of Deputy Programme Director of the MA.