Doctor of Educational and Child Psychology (DEdCPsy)
Duration: 3 years full-time
Professional Training for Educational Psychologists
This is a three year full-time course approved by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) and recognised by the Department for Education as a course of professional training in Educational Psychology.
Following a visit in December 2018 by the BPS The School of Education received four commendations for good practice in relation to this programme:
- The integration of the course within the School of Education, such that the programme feels core to the aims and procedures of the School.
- The leadership of the programme which facilitates, firstly a culture of enquiry and respect, underpinned by a critical view of psychology which was acknowledged by all; and secondly the Programme Director’s work in linking an integrated curriculum so successfully with the BPS competencies, whilst retaining an adult learning model.
- The authentic participation and co-production between the programme team, trainees and service users in supporting the training of educational psychology.
- The breadth, range and integration of the inter-disciplinary learning on the programme.
- On successful completion of the approved course students are eligible to apply for Practitioner Psychologist status with the HCPC and Chartered Psychologist status with the BPS.
Year one of the programme is spent at the University, incorporating practical placements in the field. In years two and three Trainees are employed or on bursary placements within Local Authorities, including part time release to the University.