SHIPS - What is it?
The SHeffield Industrial Projects Scheme is a teaching scheme that introduces second year undergraduate Electronic & Electrical Eng. students to real industrial problem solving; bridging the gap between Academic Theory and Industrial Practice.
- To tackle industrially inspired engineering problem based projects, with realistic practical and commercial constraints, working in small teams.
- To help fulfill the Engineering Council’s requirement that "solving real engineering problems" should form "a significant component of the educational base of future Chartered Engineers".
A company contributes
A real engineering problem with real industrial constraints; A half-day site visit, presenting their problem in context and giving an overview of the company; People to attend an afternoon of 'stand-up' presentations at the University where students present their findings.
A company gains
Highly motivated students taking a fresh & intensive look at your problem; Outcomes that may spark further ideas and open new avenues for you; An opportunity to raise your company's profile among a pool of high quality potential recruits; A written report from each group covering their investigations & findings.
Second year students bring their fresh uncluttered minds and sound grounding in basic scientific & engineering principles plus their ability to access the full resources of the University.
The students gain
Valuable experience of tackling real-world problems & teamwork; A sound base - needed to build future careers as professional engineers; An enjoyable educational experience.
Just two half-days of your time....
Host a half-day site visit at your company
- Present a technical challenge "in-context" for students to go away and study.
- Let students see a little "real-world" Engineering.
- For 15 - 30 students & staff.
- On Monday 21st Oct 2013
And later, come to hear your students present their findings
- Held at the University.
- Hear what the students have to say.
- Question them on the outcomes.
- On Monday 9th Dec 2013
... and that's it!
Why work with us?
SHIPS, a pioneer of its kind, has run successfully for nearly 40 years, involving over a hundred local, national and international companies. Our Dept. scored very high marks in the Government's assessments of both Research Quality (graded 5 'Star') and Teaching Quality (scored 24 out of a possible 24 pts) Our degree courses have full I.E.T. accreditation.
- Bradley Lomas Electrolok
- Cooper Lighting & Security
- Crich Tramway Museum
- Goodrich Avionics
- MAGNA Centre
- Stagecoach Supertram
- National Grid
- Siemens VAI