Dr Ian Ross
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
tel: +44 (0) 114 222 5811
- Experimental Officer: Kroto Centre for High Resolution Imaging and Analysis, EPSRC FEGTEM and Focused Ion Beam facility (2009).
Previous Positions and Qualifications
- Post Doctoral Research Assistant, University of Sheffield (1999/2009): Nano-technology.
- Post Doctoral Research Fellow, University of Southampton (1997/9): Bio-composites.
- PhD, University of Liverpool, UK, (1998): Materials Science/Nano-particle Research
- MSc(Eng) University of Liverpool, UK (1994): Advanced Engineering Materials
- Graduate of the Institute of Ceramics, Staffordshire University, UK (1991)
- Ceramic Technologist, Steetley Building Products Ltd/Redland Brick Ltd (1986/92)
Professional Society Membership
- Member of the Institute of Physics (IOP) (Chartered Physicist 2000)
- Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society
Dr Ross's main research interests centre on the development of advanced electron microscopy and associated analytical techniques and their application to the characterisation of a range of nano-structured materials. These have included:
- Chemical and interface analysis using electron energy-loss spectroscopy (EELS).
- Structural characterisation of engineering ceramics, oxide layers and metal hybrid nano-particles.
- Analysis of semiconductor devices, quantum dots and thin films.
- Nano-structured metal-nitride protective surface coatings.
- Development of focused ion beam techniques for advanced optical device fabrication and sample preparation.
Recent research topics include
- Application of aberration corrected TEM/STEM (Sheffield JEOL 2200FS/R005)
- Characterisation of nano-structured PVD thin films (InnovaTiAl) using a broad range of advanced electron microscopy techniques (FEG-SEM, FEG-TEM/STEM) including high spatial resolution aberration corrected microscopy (Daresbury- SuperSTEM), Raman microscopy and XRD.
- Application of focused ion beam microscopy to study site specific oxidation, corrosion and wear in advanced PVD coatings.
- Characterisation of SiGe/Si hetero-structures for Terahertz laser applications.