Building Management System (BMS)
A building management system (BMS), also known as a building automation system (BAS), is a computer-based control system installed in buildings that controls and monitors the building’s mechanical and electrical equipment such as ventilation, lighting, power systems, fire systems, and security systems.
In addition to controlling the building's internal environment, BMS systems are sometimes linked to access control (turnstiles and access doors controlling who is allowed access and egress to the building) or other security systems such as closed-circuit television (CCTV) and motion detectors.
Fire alarm systems and elevators are also sometimes linked to a BMS, for monitoring. In case a fire is detected then only the fire alarm panel could shut off dampers in the ventilation system to stop smoke spreading and send all the elevators to the ground floor and park them to prevent people from using them.
A BMS can manage:
- Illumination (lighting) control
- Electric power control
- Heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC)
- Security and observation
- Access control
- Fire alarm system
- Lifts, elevators etc.
- Closed-circuit television (CCTV)
- Other engineering systems
- Control Panel
- PA system
- Alarm Monitor
- Security Automation
The benefits of a BMS:
- Good control of internal comfort conditions
- Possibility of individual room control
- Increased staff productivity
- Effective monitoring and targeting of energy consumption
- Improved plant reliability and life
- Effective response to HVAC-related complaints
- Save time and money during maintenance
|To the building owner
- Flexibility on change of building use
- Individual tenant billing for services facilities time saving
- Remote monitoring of the plants (such as AHUs, fire pumps, plumbing pumps, electrical supply, STP, WTP, grey water treatment plant etc)
- Ease of information availability
- Computerised maintenance scheduling
- Effective use of maintenance staff
- Early detection of problems or service work easy
- More satisfied occupants
- Data is consolidated onto a single system to improve reporting, information management and decision-making. Integrating and managing the HVAC, energy, security, digital video and life safety applications from a single workstation allows facility-wide insight and control for better performance.
- Increased operational savings – Efficient resource deployment can result in reduced operational costs, empowering operators, simplifying training and decreasing false alarms.
- Energy efficient – Real-time view into facility operations and deep trend analysis provide data-driven insight to optimize your energy management strategies and minimize operational costs.
- Flexibility to grow and expand – The powerful combination of open systems protocols and a scalable platform means the BMS can help support growth and expansion of the system in the future.
- Reduced risk – Strategic mobile or desktop control, exceptional alarm management and integrated security solutions helps to see the big picture, helping to speed up response time and mitigate risks for the property, people and business.
- Intelligent reporting – Comprehensive reporting with functionality for customizable reports delivers greater transparency into system history and promotes compliance.
- BMS deals with energy demand management. EDM integrates energy policies and regulations in to overall company operations. It incorporates energy targets into overall business strategies. EDM conduct management reviews and establishes a system to collect, analyse and report data related energy consumption and ensure correctness and integrity of that data.