Faculty of Engineering in The Diamond
The Diamond accommodates undergraduate teaching for the Faculty within specialist teaching laboratories, lecture theatres and flexible teaching rooms over six floors. The building also provides substantial mixed-use, student-led learning and teaching spaces.
The nineteen laboratories in the building provide specialised engineering facilities to offer an excellent practical experience for students. These include a clean room, a virtual and augmented reality laboratory and a workshop. Dedicated teaching staff will deliver exciting teaching to support students' development into graduate engineers.
- The Diamond to be the best integrated engineering teaching space in the UK if not the world
- To equip our 1st and 2nd year students with the necessary fundamental experimental skills and technical competencies, which will feed into their 3rd and 4th year learning and research/industry led projects, and which will help them to develop the academic and technical skills that industry is seeking from top graduates.
- To showcase all this to the city and the world
Staff Led Learning
Student Led Learning
19 engineering teaching laboratories which includes:
There are feature laboratories
The Bioengineering - Tissue Laboratory.
The majority of the lecture theatres are housed in the Basement Level.
Building as a research/ teaching lab
The Faculty is taking the opportunity in The Diamond of exploring a number of opportunities to express the engineering characteristic of the building and provide future opportunities for teaching and research, these have been identified under thematic areas.
- Engineering legibility of the building design
- Technology showcasing
- Data gathering, communicating information and experimentation
Enhancing the student learning experience
The construction of The Diamond gave an ideal opportunity for some of our students to visit site and learn about the project as part of their studies. The visits were programmed in for the duration of the build. Balfour Beatty also provided a summer placement and a year in industry placement for two of our Civil and Structural Engineering students.
You can view our high definition streaming webcam of this exciting project as it unfolds here