Scholarships for Asylum Seekers who have a conditional or unconditional offer for an academic course at The University of Sheffield
We are pleased to offer 4 scholarship places (tuition fee only) for those who have sought refuge in the UK and hold a conditional offer for an undergraduate degree or postgraduate masters course, at The University of Sheffield. There are places on the following English language course:
- Pre-sessional English for those who have a conditional or unconditional offer on their English at The University of Sheffield
The scholarships cover the cost of tuition fees only.*
Our aim is to support students under the government’s resettlement programme or who are recent arrivals in the UK.
Please note: You would need to commit to travelling to Sheffield for the English language course or moving to Sheffield in order for you to attend the English Language course. We can cover your English Language tuition fees only.
The scholarships are available for students who are 18+ and who meet certain criteria.
To be considered for the scholarship you must:
- be 18+ years of age and live in Sheffield or be willing to move or travel to Sheffield to attend the course
- Have a conditional or unconditional offer for an undergraduate or postgraduate course at the University of Sheffield
- have been granted Humanitarian Protection or Limited Leave to Remain in the UK, be a dependant or partner of someone with Humanitarian Protection or Limited Leave to Remain or you or your parent/guardian or partner are an asylum seeker and have submitted a claim within the UK for refugee status and have not yet received a decision from the Home Office on that application
- have applied for asylum on arrival in the UK, and before you have applied for a place on an ELTC course
- be unable to access mainstream funding, for example student finance or local authority grants
- provide all the documentation you have received from the Home Office in relation to your asylum claim.
- If you have exhausted all appeal rights and have neither submitted a fresh claim for asylum nor an application to remain in the UK under another immigration category, you will not be able to study at the University of Sheffield.
- If your status changes throughout the application process or at any point prior to or during your studies, you must notify the University immediately.
- If you have or receive a 'no study' immigration bail condition or a 'restricted study' condition that prohibits study at the University of Sheffield, you will not be permitted to study at the University.
You can only apply for 1 course.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholarships for English language courses
Pre-sessional English course
Scholarships are available for our Pre-sessional English course, full-time, approx 21 hours per week, for up to 40 weeks, but at our discretion dependent on your current level of English:
- You need to hold a conditional offer on your English level or unconditional offer at the University of Sheffield.
- All points mentioned above
- You must have an intermediate to upper intermediate level of English (no beginners). If your level of English is too low, you will not be considered for a scholarship
- We may ask you to do an English test if you are unable to prove your English level
If you receive notification that you are liable to be detained, you will no longer be eligible for the scholarship. If your status changes throughout the application process or at any point prior to or during your studies, you must notify the University immediately.
Scholarship Application Timetable
Start dates depend on a student's current level of English, but please choose a start date and we can advise you on how long you will need to study for. Please note that we need a minimum of 1 month to process your application form.
Term 1: 24th September 2018 - 15th December 2018 - 12 weeks
Term 2: 14th January 2019 - 6th April 2019 - 12 weeks
Term 3: 29th April 2019 - 7th June 2019 - 6 weeks
Term 4: 24th June 2019 - 31st Aug 2019 - 10 weeks
How to Apply
Please complete the form on the link below and then email us a scanned copy of the following documentation to email@example.com
- Photo page in your passport and visa page or BRP
- Any asylum or Home Office documentation
- Any proof of English or proof of English language study
- A personal statement explaining how this course will benefit you
- A reference from a school, college, community group or voluntary group who will support your application
- This is a competitive process and not all applications will be successful; a panel of senior members of staff will select the strongest applications.
- If your application is taken forward, we may invite you for an interview to clarify the information you have provided in your application.
- All scholarships are discretionary.
- The University may contact the Home Office to verify your immigration status in the UK.
- If at any point during the application process or after you start your studies, we are informed by the Home Office that you should not be studying at the University, you will no longer be eligible for the scholarship. We will deem you withdrawn and you will be expected to leave your studies immediately.
Further information about University of Sheffield Scholarships
Academic scholarships at The University of Sheffield
The University of Sheffield also offer five scholarships for those who have sought refuge in the UK. The scholarships cover the cost of tuition and provide a £9,840 award to support living costs for each year of study. The scholarships are available for students who have either a conditional or unconditional offer for an undergraduate degree or postgraduate masters course. Awards are discretionary. More information is available here.