ELTC visa information for September 2019

When do I need to extend my visa?

You must submit your visa application online before registration. Without evidence that you have submitted your visa application (the visa application cover sheet is sufficient evidence) you might not be able to register and if you are not registered you cannot attend lectures. You can start your visa application as soon as you have a CAS and when you have held your funds in your account for 28 consecutive days.

Why it is important not to make any mistakes with your visa application

  • Errors in your application (for example, submitting bank statements which don't meet the strict UKVI requirements), can lead to your application being rejected as invalid or delayed significantly. Further information is available from UKVI's website
  • If you make an out-of-time application, you still have to show £9,135 for 28 days plus outstanding tuition fees and you will have no right to apply for an Administrative Review if the application is refused (even if the Home Office refused in error)
  • Overstaying can have serious consequences, such as not being able to make a visa application for one year!


You are required to show £9,135 for maintenance for yourself (main applicant) and if your dependants (wife, husband, children) will apply for PBS dependant visa at the same time as you then you are required to show £6,120 for each dependant.

It is very important that you seek advice about this from us so you deposit the correct amount in your bank account or in your joint bank account.

Immigration Health Surcharges (IHS):

From December 2018 onward, you and any dependants will be charged £300 per year for IHS.

Please see below for the amount you must pay for the IHS relevant to your course:

  • Undergraduate courses 3 years: £1050
  • One year postgraduate taught masters:, £450
  • For postgraduate research courses (PhD), you must refer to your CAS. if your CAS shows duration of PhD is 3 years then you must pay, £1050. However, if the duration of your PhD (shown on your CAS) is 4 years then you must pay £1350.

Please refer to UKVI for more information on how to calculate IHS.

How the University of Sheffield is going to help you

Throughout the Summer School, you will receive emails to invite you to attend Visa presentation and CAS talks during your pre-sessional English course. You MUST attend the designated talks as this is the only opportunity for you to learn about required documents needed to request Academic CAS and after that to apply for Tier 4 (general) visa in September 2019. At the end of each talk, you can ask questions from member of staff. 

Please note, you must prepare and submit the visa application yourself in September 2019 (before your current visa expires).

What you should do to prepare for your visa application:

  1. Attend a visa talk about the document requirements. If you would like to revisit the information provided, a copy of the presentation can be viewed below:
    CAS Presentation
    Visa Talk/Presentation

  2. Follow the instructions given to you via email especially regarding the deadline for depositing the funds for maintenance in your account.

  3. If applying inside the UK - Read the information available here and read the UKVI's website carefully and apply for your Tier 4 (general) visa once your documents met the UKVI's requirements and before registration period. 

  4. If applying outside the UK - Read the information available here and read the UKVI's website carefully and apply for your Tier 4 (general) visa once your documents met the UKVI's requirements.

IMPORTANT: It is important that all the ELTC students who will need to apply for Tier 4 (general) visa either inside the UK or outside the UK to deposit the required funds (£9,135 plus tuition fees) into their bank account on or before 1st August 2019.

  1. Read the FAQs
  2. If you have any questions which are not answered in the FAQs or elsewhere on this website, please contact eltc.cas@sheffield.ac.uk and state your full name and University registration number (you can find this on your student card). Please write - visa query - in your email subject so we can answer them quicker. Please send your email from your University email account and note that queries without your correct University registration number can not be answered.

What do you need to prepare:

  • That your financial documents meet the Home Office's formal criteria. 
  • That you have the sufficient amount of money. If you are self-funding, we recommend that you have this amount transferred into your account by 1st August, even if you haven't yet received an unconditional offer. 
  • Translate documents which are not in English
  • That you have the necessary academic qualifications listed on your CAS
  • Your passport / visa to see whether or not you need to register with the police and if so, your police registration certificate
  • Your CAS to check whether you need an ATAS or not, to check if you have paid any course fees and how much money you need to show and to check which qualifications you need to send

Bank statements – Important

Most students have online accounts and very few students receive personal bank statements in the post. Whilst you can send print outs from online statements to UKVI, these must be stamped on each page. Unfortunately many banks refuse to stamp online statements. Please be aware that the bank will need several days notice for this, so you must ensure that you order your personal statement well in advance (check with the bank how long it will take to send a personal statement from the day you order it) in order to receive it in time for your visa application.

UKVI would consider accepting an online statement if it clearly displays the bank’s URL on the print out. Therefore we strongly recommend that you check with your bank whether they will stamp an online or ad hoc statement and if they don’t, you should arrange for a personal bank statement to be sent to your home address. Alternatively you can ask the bank to write a letter confirming the authenticity of the bank statement but most bank will probably refuse to do this, too.

So in short – check with the bank if they will stamp online or ad hoc statements. If they don’t, ask how long it will take to send a personal bank statement (printed on letter headed paper, containing account number, name, date of statement and bank’s logo) to your home address. Then order the statement at the right time to ensure it will show the money for 28 days.

On-line Tier 4 visa

Applying inside the UK:  read the following FAQ carefully. 

Applying from outside the UK: if you are returning home and will apply for Tier 4 (general) in your home country then you must use this link. We strongly recommend that you use the Visa Priority Service (3 - 5 days) when applying in your home country. This will allow you to arrive in the UK to register in time for your academic programme.

IMPORTANT: read the Tier 4 policy guidance before applying for Tier 4 (general) visa.

Tier 4 Pilot: 

It is very important that you read the Tier 4 Pilot webpage. If you meet the requirement to apply under Tier 4 pilot, then you are not required to submit financial documents or previous qualifications. However, it is essential that you meet the Tier 4 requirements at the time you submit your Tier 4 application online, including the requirement to maintain funds for 28 days.

Although students under the pilot will not have to submit these documents to UKVI, the caseworker can request to see them if required and may do spot checks on applicants applying under the pilot.

If you are asked for documents and cannot provide them, or you don't meet the Tier 4 requirements, your application will be refused.

Contact us

If you have any questions please always refer to the FAQ page in the first instance. If your question is not answered in the FAQ's or the information you are looking for is not on this website, please send an email to eltc.cas@sheffield.ac.uk from your University email account and state your full name and registration number. Please note that emails without the correct University registration number cannot be answered.

Useful links:


How to calculate IHS:


Applying for Tier 4 visa inside the UK:


Applying for Tier 4 visa from outside the UK:



If you have dependant(s) wishing to apply for PBS dependant visa: