Scholarships for Asylum Seekers
The deadline to apply for our September 2018 scholarships will be August 31st. Successful candidates must be available for a registration event/placement test on Monday 10th September.
We are pleased to offer five scholarships for those who have sought refuge in the UK. The scholarships cover the cost of tuition fees. The scholarships are available for students who are 18+ and who meet certain criteria.
To be considered for the scholarship you must:
- be 18+ years of age and live in Sheffield
- have been granted Humanitarian Protection or Limited Leave to Remain in the UK, be a dependant or partner of someone with Humanitarian Protection or Limited Leave to Remain or you or your parent/guardian or partner are an asylum seeker and have submitted a claim within the UK for refugee status and have not yet received a decision from the Home Office on that application
- have applied for asylum on arrival in the UK, and before you have applied for a place on an ELTC course
- be unable to access mainstream funding, for example student finance or local authority grants
- provide all the documentation you have received from the Home Office in relation to your asylum claim.
If you have any queries, please email email@example.com
- If you have exhausted all appeal rights and have neither submitted a fresh claim for asylum nor an application to remain in the UK under another immigration category, you will not be able to study at the University of Sheffield.
- If your status changes throughout the application process or at any point prior to or during your studies, you must notify the University immediately.
- If you have or receive a 'no study' immigration bail condition or a 'restricted study' condition that prohibits study at the University of Sheffield, you will not be permitted to study at the University.
Part-time General English
There are limited scholarship places available for our General English course in Term 1 & Term 2. The students given places in Term 1 will be expected to continue in Term 2. In Term 1 classes are held from 24th September 2018 to 14th December 2018. The classes are in the evenings from 5:30pm - 7:30pm on Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday – a total of 4 hours a week. Term 2 is also 4 hours a week for 12 weeks. The term dates are 11th February to 24th May 2019. Depending on your English language level, there may be opportunities to attend other university language workshops. For more information about the classes please visit our Part-time General English webpage.
- All points mentioned at the top of the page
- You must have an intermediate to upper intermediate level of English (no beginners)
- There will be a placement test at the start of the course
Scholarship Application Timetable
|Scholarship Application Deadline||Successful Applicants Notified||Course Registration Date||Course Begins|
|Part-Time General English Classes||31st August 2018||By 7th September 2018||Placement test 10th September 2018||24th September 2018|
How to Apply
Applications are now open. The deadline to apply for our September course is August 31st. Successful candidates must be available on 10th September for a registration event and placement test.