Asylum Seeker Scholarships - Part Time
Part-time English language course scholarships for asylum seekers offered by the University of Sheffield.
Please Note: Applications for scholarships in the current 2020-21 academic year are now closed.
Information about future scholarships will be available on this webpage near the beginning of the 2021-22 academic year.
What does the scholarship cover?
The scholarships cover the cost of tuition fees and course materials. The scholarships are available for students who are 18+ and who meet certain criteria.
What criteria do I need to meet?
To be considered for the scholarship you must:
- be 18+ years of age and live in Sheffield
- have been granted Humanitarian Protection or Limited Leave to Remain in the UK, be a dependant or partner of someone with Humanitarian Protection or Limited Leave to Remain or you or your parent/guardian or partner are an asylum seeker and have submitted a claim within the UK for refugee status and have not yet received a decision from the Home Office on that application
- be unable to access mainstream funding, for example student finance or local authority grants
- provide all the documentation you have received from the Home Office in relation to your asylum claim.
How do I apply for a scholarship?
Applications for scholarships in the current 2020-21 academic year are now closed. Further information about future scholarships will be available on this webpage later in 2021.
- If you have exhausted all appeal rights and have neither submitted a fresh claim for asylum nor an application to remain in the UK under another immigration category, you will not be able to study at the University of Sheffield.
- If your status changes throughout the application process or at any point prior to or during your studies, you must notify the University immediately.
- If you have or receive a 'no study' immigration bail condition or a 'restricted study' condition that prohibits study at the University of Sheffield, you will not be permitted to study at the University.
About our Part-time Evening Courses
Our part-time General English Courses take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 5:30pm to 7:30pm.
Our part-time IELTS Preparation Course takes place on Mondays and Wednesdays from 5:30pm to 7:30pm.
Students on both courses are required to attend both sessions each week.
For more information about the classes, please visit our Part-time courses webpage.
If your application is successful, you will be invited to take a placement test where we can check your level of English and recommend the right course for you.
What if I still have questions?
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com and we will be happy to help you.
A world top-100 university
We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.