Uncovering English: a practical introduction to language awareness
- Would like to know more about how the English language pieces together and the terminology used to describe it?
- Are you interested in teaching English to speakers of other languages, but concerned that your level of English language awareness might hold you back?
- Have you considered applying for a CELTA (or equivalent) course, but feel daunted by the questions that appear on the application form?
- Would you like to develop your written or spoken language competence?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions, then our new 12-week course ‘Uncovering English: a practical introduction to language awareness’ may be for you.
What is this course?
This is an introductory course about Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) which requires no previous teaching experience. The course is excellent preparation for people interested in teaching English as a career or a hobby or just wanting to learn more about the language.
The course introduces you to how language works. You will be taken through all the basic points of the English language that a teacher should know - key items of grammar, the main aspects of vocabulary and the basics of pronunciation. In addition to analysing language, emphasis will be placed on learning about and trying out a range of practical techniques and activities commonly used in the EFL classroom.
By the end of the course, you should have a better awareness of the English grammar system, a working knowledge the terms used to describe English and an awareness of how English is taught in the classroom. This means that when you start teaching, or start your TEFL course, you won't be struggling with the basic concepts - instead you'll be able to concentrate on teaching English to your students.
On completion of the course, you will receive a certificate issued by the ELTC, University of Sheffield. Although this is not a recognised teaching qualification like the CELTA, it will demonstrate that you have committed to developing your awareness of language and your ability to analyse language within an EFL context.
What are the aims of this course?
This course aims to raise awareness of the English Language. You will first be guided to explore the language by examining concepts such as meaning, form and function. You will also study practical examples of the main features of English vocabulary, grammar and phonology as they apply in an EFL context. We will then look at the teaching implications of these insights about language. Through observation of qualified EFL teachers and participation in practical activities, you will identify and evaluate how English is taught to second language learners.
This course will…
- equip you with ways of analysing and exploring language systems.
- increase your understanding of the nature of the English language.
- introduce engaging and practical classroom activities and techniques which can be used in language lessons.
- give you the confidence to help your learners by providing them with accurate and informed explanations about language.
- equip you with basic understanding of how to plan and deliver a language lesson.
- provide you with practical ideas for future EFL teaching you may undertake.
Who is the course for?
This course is suitable for anyone with an interest in or a desire to know more about teaching English to speakers of other languages. It is aimed at people considering a career in ELT, students planning to travel and work abroad during vacations/gap years and/or anyone considering committing to a lengthier more costly programme such as a CELTA. It is an introduction and will help participants understand whether this is an area they would like to go into in more depth.
This course may be for you, if...
- you are considering a career change and want ‘a taste’ of what it’s like to teach English.
- you are planning to take CELTA (or an equivalent) in the future but may need to develop your language awareness and/or language competence (oral and written).
- you need more confidence to apply for a CELTA or equivalent course (i.e. before you complete the application form) or to prepare once you’ve been accepted for interview.
- you have been accepted on a TEFL course and want to ensure you start the course with all the basics of the English language in place.
- you have already done a TEFL course but feel you want to strengthen and improve your language awareness.
When does the course take place?
The course will take place on Thursday evenings from 6pm to 8pm here at the ELTC. The start date will be 23rd February and the end date 1st June. Please note there will be a break for Easter between 30th March and 27th April.
How much does it cost?
The course fee is £450. This should be paid by credit or debit card through the University of Sheffield secure online store. The full fee must be paid by the course start date.
How can I apply?
If you are interested in taking this course, please follow the link below to complete our ‘Expression of Interest’ form: