FAQs about Erasmus+ and Brexit

The University of Sheffield highly values its partnerships with European universities and is committed to continuing our exchanges post-Brexit. If the UK leaves the European Union with negotiated deal, then the UK will continue to participate in Erasmus during 2019/20.

In case the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the status of the UK’s participation in Erasmus is uncertain. Below are a few answers to frequently asked questions that you may find useful.

For general information about Brexit, refer to the University's central Brexit advice and support pages.

Exchange students inbound to Sheffield
As a student from the EU, what documentation should I have if I leave the UK and then need to re-enter?

Until the point that the UK leaves the EU, you are able to travel freely in and out of the UK. The current exit date is 31 October 2019, but this could change is an agreement is reached sooner.

If you would feel more comfortable travelling with proof that you are currently studying in the UK, then you can obtain a Certificate of Student Status (Term Time Address) from SSiD. This states the dates you are studying in the UK and your current residence address.

Any students who initially entered the UK using a National Identity ID card should still be able to use this to re-enter the UK. You may wish to consider applying for a full passport instead of the identity card though, to ensure you do not encounter any issues at immigration.

You can see the full advice currently available from the UK government on their webpage:


Will I still be eligible to receive the Erasmus+ grant after the UK has exited the EU?

On 30 January 2019 the European Commission proposed measures to avoid disruption for those currently on a or due to be on a mobility at the point of the UK’s exit from Europe.

This means any students who are already undertaking a mobility at this point should not be affected by Brexit. They will be able to continue with their mobility until the planned end date, and receive any agreed funding from their home university.

Will I have to pay fees for my study period at the University of Sheffield?

The University of Sheffield is committed to continuing exchanges with our European partners, no matter what effects Brexit may have. We will continue with to host inbound exchange students with waived tuition fees.

If there is a change in the future to tuition fees for exchange students, this will be communicated to partner universities and exchange students as soon as possible.

Will I be able to apply for a place to study at the University of Sheffield during 2019/20 academic year?

The University of Sheffield is continuing with European exchanges as normal in the 2019/20 academic year. We have already opened the online nomination system for our partner universities, and look forward to welcoming exchange students to our campus.

You can find out more information about the application process on our webpages for inbound students.

Your home Erasmus coordinator will also be able to answer some questions about Sheffield.

Exchange students outbound from Sheffield
Will I still be able to go abroad under the Erasmus+ programme during 2019/20?

At present, the UK’s participation in the Erasmus+ programme for the academic year 2019/20 is still unknown.

However, students who are taking part in a European exchange period during the 2019/20 academic year are expected to be able to continue with their mobility. It is expected that the mobility will take place without the additional support of the Erasmus+ funding.

Does my nationality affect whether I am eligible for the Erasmus+ grant in 2019/20?

A student’s eligibility for the grant is dependant on the country the sending institution is in, rather than an individual’s nationality.

This means that if the UK has to leave the Erasmus+ programme, no students at UK universities would be eligible for the Erasmus+ grant, regardless of their individual nationality.

Will I be eligible to receive any funding for my period abroad?

Students who are normally eligible for funding from Student Finance, either a tuition loan, or a maintenance loan, or both, will still be eligible to receive these for a period abroad in 2019/20.

Students who normally eligible for the Sheffield Bursary scheme would still be eligible to receive this during a period abroad in 2019/20.

Sheffield Students are also eligible to apply for Financial Support whilst they are abroad, if they encounter unexpected financial hardship due to unforeseen circumstances.

As ever, we strongly recommend that students plan their budget before they go abroad to ensure they will have sufficient funds. More information about budgeting can be found on the Money Tool webpage:


I am currently abroad - is there anything I need to do concerning my immigration status?

For any students who are currently abroad, we advise that you check the FCO webpage for your host country for the most up to date information:


You should also check the Embassy website of your host country for any specific rules that may apply to you in that country.

For any students who are currently on work placements, refer to the FCO webpages regularly. It is unclear at present if your ability to work in your host country will be immediately affected.

Your specific country page will detail any steps you need to take and whether you need a visa to remain in the country. We recommend that you check the information regularly for any updates.

I’ve found a webpage which states that we should apply for the funding as normal. When should I submit my application and what paperwork do I need to submit?

The information on the British Council webpages relates to institutional level applications for funding for the Erasmus+ programme in 2019/20, not individuals’ applications for funding.

Once the University knows the outcome of its application for the next academic year, we will liaise with participating students accordingly.

Until you are instructed to do so, do not complete any Erasmus paperwork currently on the University webpages. This is for students undertaking mobilities in the 2018/19 academic year only.

What happens if I am abroad and the UK leaves the EU: will I have to pay any tuition fees to my host University?

For any students who are currently studying abroad, we do not expect there will be any change to your tuition fee status this year.

If you are requested to pay fees by your host university, then contact Global Opportunities & Exchanges immediately so we can contact the partner university:


When the UK leaves the EU, will I need to get a new or different kind of travel insurance, or will the University policy still cover me?

The University of Sheffield travel insurance team have confirmed that any current and future insurance policies for students studying or working in the EU will remain valid, and students do not need to take out additional policies. For full details, refer to the Insurance Team webpage:


Any students who have not yet taken out a University insurance policy for their time abroad must do so as soon as possible.

The status of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) once the UK leaves the EU is still yet unknown. The card will remain valid until the time the UK leaves the EU.