Date: Wednesday 15 March 2017
Time: 5pm - 8pm
Venue: Workroom 3, The Diamond, University of Sheffield, 32 Leavygreave Road, Sheffield, S3 7RD
Audience: Age 16+
Wall of Women at The Diamond
Discussion hosted by Dr Rachael Rothman, Faculty Director for Women in Engineering, University of Sheffield
As part of Sheffield Festival of Science and Engineering the Director of Women in Engineering will host an ‘in conversation' discussion with five panellists to discuss their careers and experiences as a women in engineering, followed by three short videos projected outside The Diamond.
This event will be hosted by Dr Rachael Rothman, Director for Women in Engineering and you will also hear from more of our Women in Engineering; alumna, students and academic staff. Engineering is a fantastic career choice – we find creative solutions to complex problems and make a real difference to people’s lives. Find out why it’s such a rewarding profession from our own female engineers:
- Carol Morris, Electronic and Electrical Engineering alumna, currently works at the Open University as Deputy Head of School of Engineering and Innovation.
- Dr Claire Corkhill, Vice Chancellor’s Research Fellow, Department of Materials Science and Engineering.
- Maha Khan, Chemical and Biological Engineering alumna, currently working in Sheffield at Arup.
- Dr Virginia Stovin, Reader, Department of Civil and Structural Engineering.
- Clara Odede, undergraduate Aerospace Engineering student.
Outdoor projection viewed from outside The Diamond Building (no booking required). When darkness falls we’ll screen Queen of Air, a short poem film commissioned for the Amy Johnson Festival by Sheffield poet Joe Kriss and the Bafta-nominated filmmaker Annie Watson from Sheffield Hallam University. Amy, an alumna of the University of Sheffield, was the first female to hold an authorised mechanics licence and broke world flying records across the world. The film will be accompanied by images from our own Wall of Women and Suzy and Ricky animation, rolling on a ten minute loop.