Insurance Advice on Brexit

This page is provided to offer advice on the possible insurance implications surrounding Britain's exit from the EU. Government updates can be found at

Travel Insurance

As before all staff and students on University business overseas must apply for University travel insurance.

Please view the Travel and Personal Accident web page for advice on how to do this along with details of any policy excesses/exclusions.

In brief this insurance can provide the following:

  • Emergency medical treatment costs, including hospital charges and ambulance fees
  • Returning you home following medical treatment abroad if you cannot use your original ticket
  • Reasonable additional transport and/or accommodation expenses for a close relative or friend to stay with you or travel from the UK to escort you if required
  • Temporary emergency dental treatment for the relief of immediate pain
  • 24 hours assistance help-line to offer support and advice about appropriate treatment

If you are travelling in the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you should apply for a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)  This gives you the right to access state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in those countries.

Remember that the EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance.  It will not cover any private medical healthcare or costs, such as mountain rescue in ski resorts, being flown back to the UK, or lost or stolen property. 

Please ensure that you check your EHIC is still in date well in advance of travel.

Staff and students travelling on University business are advised to carry their EHIC whilst travelling to the EU along with a copy of their University travel insurance certificate (this can be obtained by completing the travel form on the insurance web pages

In the event of any incident requiring emergency medical care whereby there is confusion surrounding the use of your EHIC, assistance can be obtained via our insurers:

Policy number: RKK699045 (Royal Sun Alliance)
Helpline: +44 (0) 20 8763 3155 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)

Cancellation and Curtailment

Please note that the travel insurance policy currently excludes the cost of cancellation, curtailment or rearrangement of a trip due to 'regulations made by any Government or public authority'.

This is market standard and it may mean that if trips are cancelled on or directly after the official leave date due to regulations made by any Government then the insurance cover will not apply and we will be unable to claim for these costs.


Do not book travel unless your passport meets the entry requirements of the country you are travelling to.

Guidance on this and a country check can be found at

Insurance cover is not in place for cancellations due to not having the correct documentation for travel.

Driving Abroad

Please view the guidance provided on the government web page

Drivers from the UK may need a different international driving permit (IDP) to drive abroad.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may also need an IDP and extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA

If you require a green card for driving abroad as part of a University organised business trip please contact the insurance office without delay as it may take 2 to 3 weeks to obtain.

Hiring vehicles abroad

If you hire a vehicle outside of the UK for business purposes you must ensure that you take the appropriate identification and that the hire company is reputable and provides adequate motor insurance.

Road traffic accidents in the EU

In the event that there is no EU Exit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Instead, UK residents involved in a road accident may need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA country where the accident happened. This may involve bringing the claim in the local language.

In the event of an accident in an EU or EEA country caused by an uninsured or an untraced driver, UK residents may not receive compensation if there is no EU Exit deal. This will vary from country to country.

In the event of any motor claim overseas on University business please notify the insurance section without delay.


What happens if I am injured in the EU and need emergency medical assistance in the event of a no deal?  There is no change to the cover provided by our insurers for emergency medical assistance abroad.  As before travellers should firstly produce their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) for treatment costs.  For any costs not covered then we may be able to reclaim these from our travel insurers.  If there are any problems seeking treatment or if the medical emergency is serious please contact Healix on the 24 hour helpline as per your certificate of insurance for assistance.

What happens if my flight/train/ferry is delayed or cancelled for a trip to the EU?  In the first instance as usual travellers should contact the booking agent or airline for further instructions on whether the trip will be rearranged or if a refund will be issued.  Please note that travel delay compensation is not covered under our travel insurance policy and must be claimed direct from the airline.  Dependent on the reason for the cancellation we may be able to make a claim from insurers subject to any policy excesses.  However, if the cancellation is due to a regulation by any Government or public authority then we currently cannot claim for this.

What happens if I am refused permission to travel because I didn't check my passport?  It is up to individuals to ensure that they have the correct documentation to be able to travel on University business.  It is advisable that travel is not arranged unless your passport meets the entry requirements of the country you are travelling to.  You can check this here  Insurance cover is not in place for cancellations due to not having the correct documentation to travel.