Claims should be made without delay to the Insurance Section.

Please note that any policy excesses are the responsibility of the departments making the claim unless otherwise agreed.

Travel Claims

Please complete the travel claim form from the insured person and return by email to within 90 days of the incident.  Copies of the following documents should also be supplied if applicable:

  • Police report in cases of theft
  • Receipts for any replacement items, accommodation costs, additional flights etc
  • Airline reports for any lost baggage or cancelled flights
  • Tickets for cancellation/curtailment of journeys
  • Doctors note if applicable
  • Confirmation of any taxes refunded by the airline for travel not taken – insurers will need this before any payments are made for cancellation.
  • Claimants should give an indication of whether any settlement cheque should be made payable to the individual or a department.

Please view the applicable policy excesses detailed on the travel and personal accident page as these will deducted from any claims settlement.

The Insurance section will process the claim and notify the result in due course.

Property Claims

Please complete the claim form and forward copies of any relevant information.

Laptop/computer/Ipad claims – Insurers will request copies of the original purchase invoice and an estimate for repair/replacement

Please note that any incident where the final overall cost is likely to exceed £5,000 should be discussed with the Insurance Section as soon as possible so that loss adjusters can be notified. Please also note that remedial action (other than essential emergency action to prevent further problems) should be agreed beforehand.

Liability Claims

Departments receiving letter of claim from individuals/solicitors or notices of court proceedings should forward them immediately to the Insurance Section without response or acknowledgement.

The insurance section in consultation with Safety Services will process any claim and notify departments of any information or documentation required by insurers.

Motor Claims

All claims or potential claim incidents involving temporarily hired vehicles must be reported both to the Transport department and the Insurance Section.

If a claim is to be submitted the driver of the vehicle will be asked to complete and sign a claim form detailing the circumstances of the incident, including any personal injuries or any damage to third party vehicles/property.

Where a hired vehicle is damaged the department should either return the vehicle or otherwise contact the hire company immediately who will arrange for repairs to be carried out. The estimate/invoice will probably be sent to the department and should then be forwarded to the Insurance Section.

The department will need to arrange payment of the hire company’s invoice in the first instance. Insurers will meet the repair costs except the policy excess.

Any correspondence from any party relating to a motor claim or accident should be passed directly to the insurance section without acknowledgement.

Claims should be made to the insurance department without delay.


Need Help or More Information?

Who to Contact
Please contact Joanne Rollitt in the insurance team for advice and guidance on insurance issues, email, or telephone 0114 2221510.

Please see our frequently asked questions.