Liability Insurance

The University has employer’s liability insurance, public liability insurance and professional indemnity insurance.

Employer’s Liability Insurance

This policy provides cover for the employer in the event of claims brought by employees based on injury to their person suffered in the course of employment as a result of the fault of the employer.

In the case of seconded staff, work experience placements and persons temporarily attached to the University, other employers or authorities may require confirmation or certificate of our insurance cover.

Public Liability

This policy provides an indemnity to the University for its legal liability for injury to persons (other than employees) and damage to material property belonging to other persons arising in connection with the business of the University.

The policy also provides an indemnity to staff and students acting on behalf of the University for their legal liability for accident or injury to other parties.

Please advise the Insurance section of any activity, research or consultancy of an unusual nature or involving aerial activity, pollution, clinical trials, or having transatlantic implications.

Professional Indemnity

The cover provided by this policy is in respect of claims for which the University is legally liable following a breach of professional duty by reason of any neglect, error or omission on the part of an employee.

How to Make a Claim

To make a claim please email


Need Help or More Information?

Who to Contact
Please contact Joanne Rollitt in the insurance team for advice and guidance on insurance issues, email, or telephone 0114 2221510.

Please see our frequently asked questions.