Motor Insurance

The motor insurance policy insures all University owned, hired and long term leased vehicles in respect of damage to the vehicle and third party legal liabilities.

Vehicles used for University business which are the property of members of staff will not be insured by the University. Staff must ensure that their own motor policy includes business use.


  • Standard Excess - £1000 (each and every claim)

Convictions against any proposed driver of any university owned or rented vehicle should be reported to the Transport Manager.

If you make a claim on the University motor insurance policy due to an incident in a fleet, leased or hired vehicle then regardless of fault you may need to let your own personal insurance company know of this when renewing your policy.

Key Points

  • Vehicles hired abroad must be insured with the hire company as the University policy does not provide cover for vehicles hired overseas..
  • Minibus hire must be arranged through the University Transport Office.
  • Please familiarise yourself with the driving at work policy on the Transport Services webpages.

Hire Cars

Vehicles hired for university business in the UK will be automatically insured under our motor policy.

All hires over 14 days must be notified to the insurance section so they can be added to the Motor Insurance Database (MID).

When collecting or returning a hire vehicle please check the exterior and interior thoroughly.  Make a note of any marks, scratches and dents and take photographs as evidence.   

How to Make a Claim

To make a claim please email


Need Help or More Information?

Who to Contact
Please contact Joanne Rollitt in the insurance team for advice and guidance on insurance issues, email, or telephone 0114 2221510.

Please see our frequently asked questions.