Insurance Cover for Home Students

The main types of insurance cover relating to Sheffield students are detailed below. For further information on types of insurance cover students may wish to consider please click on the following link:


All students are covered by the University’s travel insurance when travel is made primarily on University business. Cover is available for travel which involves an overnight stay, a flight or rail travel.

To arrange cover please enter your details here which will produce a certificate for you to download/email.

For further information on insurance for travel or field trips please see the LeTS webpages.

The University cannot provide student travel insurance for non-business purposes.

Study abroad – University of Sheffield students going overseas

For periods abroad of lasting no more than 12 months students are provided with travel and personal accident insurance. For further information please visit travel and personal accident insurance. There is no charge for the insurance cover.

Students who are EEA/EU nationals and who are normally resident in the UK, but are spending time in another EEA/EU country as an integral part of a UK course should also apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Please visit:

Some universities require you to be subscribed to a third party liability insurance plan as part of their registration procedure. If this is required please contact the insurance office for advice.

For further information on periods abroad please visit the Global Opportunities & Exhanges web pages.

Personal belongings

For students living in University provided accommodation £5,000 of room contents insurance is included as part of your rent (£7,500 if you’re a student family). For students in private accommodation, room contents insurance probably will not be included in the rent and it is the responsibility of students to arrange their own cover.

Motor insurance

Students bringing their cars to the University are responsible for providing their own insurance. Please ensure that you contact your insurance provider to notify them that you are bringing your car to University as you may not be automatically insured.

Students that are required to drive a University owned or leased vehicle as part of their studies can have motor insurance cover provided but will need to provide a copy of their driving license to their department.