Help on ... Tax and VAT

These pages provide guidance and advice for University staff on Corporation Tax and VAT, the administration of which is managed by the Tax section.

Advice about personal tax, paid by staff and others working for the University, is provided by the Payroll Office, this includes queries about income tax, P45s and P60s.

If you are visiting the Department of Finance in person then you can find out more about how to find us and our opening times.

Corporation Tax

The University is an ‘Exempt Charity’ which means that it is exempt from registration with the Charity Commission.  The University is NOT exempt from Corporation Tax, but can claim certain tax reliefs for its charitable activities.  Corporation Tax is chargeable on the financial results of its non charitable ‘trading activities’ including some services rendered, consultancy, analytical services, closed courses, non-academic conferences and external catering services.  It is essential that the financial results of these activities are correctly reported.

VAT Helpdesk

The University is registered for VAT in the UK and, as such, is legally obliged to account for VAT on all its income, unless that income is specifically exempted from VAT under prevailing UK law. Whilst the provision of education by a University is VAT-exempt, many other supplies of goods and services are subject to VAT. Should you have any queries about VAT please visit the VAT Helpdesk in the first instance.


Need help or more information?

Who to contact
Contact the Tax section for advice and guidance on Corporation Tax or VAT at the University.

For queries about budget management and income generating activities contact the Finance Manager for your Academic Department or Professional Services Department or Research Finance.