Dr Christine Baycroft
Telephone: 0114 222 4895
BA, MA, PhD (Paris IV Sorbonne), Agrégation in Philosophy
I was educated in France, where I studied Philosophy and the History of Ideas at Paris IV (the Sorbonne), completing a PhD in Philosophy of Education in 2000, and teaching for several years in the French system. Since I came to the UK, I have pursued my interest in the Philosophy of Education, particularly on topics related to language education and teaching, and have taught French and translation skills at a variety of levels and in various institutions, while also working as a freelance translator.
- The philosophy of education
- Bilingualism, translation
Key Recent Publications
- Les Lois de Platon, Paris: Ellipses, 2006. 111 pp. ISBN: 2-7298-2589-4.
- La paideia de l’alogon dans la pensée pédagogique platonicienne de la République aux Lois. Villeneuve d’ascq: Presses Universitaires du Septentrion, 2001. xii + 569 pp. ISBN 2-284-02594-8.
- 7 articles for the Dictionnaires de idées philosophiques, Paris: Ellipses, 2007.
- ‘The search for legal security in Angevin Normandy: final concords and enrolments,’ by Daniel Power. Bibliothèque de l’École des chartes, t. 168, 2011, p. 327-371. (English into French)
- ‘Civil War, partnership and the history of English social relations,’ by Mike Braddick, in Laurent Bourquin, Philippe Hamon, Pierre Karila Cohen, Cédric Michon eds., Conflits et Opinion(s) XIIIe-XIXe siècles, Rennes: Presses Universitaires de Rennes, forthcoming (2011/2012) (English into French)
- ‘Etre parisien, être révolutionnaire: dispositifs et trajectoires: 1789-94,’ by David Andress. Forthcoming. (English into French)
- FRE 109/110 Language and Communication studies
- FRE 201/202 Language and Communication studies
- FRE 301/302 Language and Communication studies
- FRE 402/403 Translation skills for Erasmus students