IT equipment support
If you're starting or continuing a course with us from September 2021 and don't have access to the IT equipment needed to engage with your course you could be eligible for support. Home and overseas students can apply.
If you meet the criteria listed below you may be eligible to receive a laptop from the University to enable you to engage with your course whilst some teaching is online.
To be eligible to apply you must meet the criteria listed below:
- Register or re-register with us on an undergraduate, taught postgraduate or research programme from September 2021.
- Require a laptop to be able to engage with your course.
- You cannot use the facilities available on campus to engage with your course because of accessibility issues or other exceptional circumstances.
You must also meet the criteria in one of the bullet points below:
- Demonstrate that purchasing a laptop would put you in financial hardship. We will assess this by asking you to submit an application to Financial Support (the University's support fund). Further information and the application (Financial Support for IT equipment only) are available via the Financial Support web page. Once you have submitted a complete application we will contact you within seven working days to confirm whether you are eligible or not.
- Be a new undergraduate student, have a household income of £25,000 or less and live in an area of the UK where it is less common for people to go to university. This is defined by the government's classification called POLAR. To meet this criteria your address must fall into quintile 1 of POLAR3 or POLAR4. Please note this information covers the UK only. You can check your eligibility for this criteria using the government's POLAR database. You should use the postcode of the home address you used on your UCAS application.
How to apply
Please ensure you meet the eligibility criteria above before contacting us to apply.
To apply you will need to email email@example.com and explain why you need a laptop to be able to engage with your course. Once you have emailed us we will be in touch within 15 working days to confirm if you are eligible and next steps where necessary.
If your application is successful you will be given a DELL Vostro laptop (exact model to be confirmed) for the duration of your course. Other devices and financial support are not available.
Points to note
- Not all applications will be successful.
- If you're eligible to apply because of your household income and postcode we will check these details against your UCAS and student loan application. You must have had a means tested assessment with the Student Loans Company for us to confirm your household income.
- If you are not eligible to receive a maintenance loan from the Student Loans Company you will need to confirm your eligibility by submitting an application for Financial Support - IT equipment only.
- If you receive a laptop from the University you will be asked to sign an agreement. Further details will be shared when your eligibility is confirmed.
- It is your responsibility to submit a complete application with any required evidence.
- You will need to be fully registered to receive any equipment or award.
- If you receive a laptop it is your responsibility to insure it.
- Some part time and distance learning courses may not be eligible.
- As Campus is now open it is expected that students will use facilities there to engage with their course where ever possible.
- Students who are studying their course remotely are not eligible for support with IT equipment.
- Students eligible to apply for the TUOS Discover IT Equipment Bursary are not eligible to apply for this scheme.
Student Fees and Funding Team
If you have have any questions about the IT equipment support, get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org