New Deal for Communities evaluation
Funded by the Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG), the New Deal for Communities (NDC) was a community-led ten year area-based initiative in 39 of England’s most deprived neighbourhoods running from 1998-2008 with each NDC Partnership receiving around £50 million over the duration. The NDC therefore represented one of England’s largest ever area-based regeneration initiatives.
Before joining the University of Sheffield, Adam worked as part of the National Evaluation Team of the NDC Programme with colleagues at the Social Disadvantage Research Centre (SDRC), University of Oxford. Within the national evaluation, also funded by DCLG, SDRC’s role was to provide statistical evaluations of programme impact using a range of complex large-scale administrative datasets such as the National Pupil Database (DfE), the Work and Pensions Longitudinal Study (DWP) and a unique dataset of police recorded crime data. In addition to providing regular baskets of key performance indicators to DCLG and each of the local NDC Partnerships Adam worked on a number of more analytical and evaluative projects of the NDC:
- Evaluation of the costs of crime occurring across the NDC Partnerships and an estimate of the financial value of crimes prevented by the NDC Programme;
- Evaluation of the extent to which the NDC has led to the geographical displacement of crime to neighbouring areas or, by contrast, diffusion of benefit to those surrounding areas;
- Analysis of the challenges faced by NDC schools by pupil mobility and patterns of school attendance;
Adam also produced the related statistical evaluation of the impact of the broader National Strategy for Neighbourhood Renewal on educational attainment outcomes. The analysis used difference-in-difference estimation analysis of the National Pupil Database.
- Whitworth, A., McLennan, D. and Noble, M. (2010). Crimes occurring and prevented in New Deal for Communities areas: An approach to estimating the economic costs and benefits. Communities and Local Government, London.
- Wilkinson, K., Whitworth, A. and McLennan, D. (2010). Improving educational attainment in deprived areas: Evaluating the impact of the Neighbourhood Renewal Fund. Communities and Local Government, London.
- Whitworth, A., Wilkinson, K., McLennan, D., Noble, M. and Anttila, C. (2009). Raising educational attainment in deprived areas: the challenges of geography and residential mobility for area-based initiatives. Evidence from the New Deal for Communities Programme. Communities and Local Government, London.
- McLennan, D. and Whitworth, A. (2008). Displacement of Crime or Diffusion of Benefit: Evidence from the New Deal for Communities Programme. Communities and Local Government, London.