Personal Tutors

When you arrive at the University, your Department will allocate you a Personal Tutor. This is a member of academic staff in your Department who is there to support you with any difficulties you may be experiencing and to also point you in the right direction for specialist help or additional skills development you may be interested in.

Your Personal Tutor is likely to be the same person throughout your degree, although this may change if your Personal Tutor goes on research leave. If this occurs, the Department will allocate you a replacement Personal Tutor.

If you are a Dual Honours student, your Personal Tutor will be from your home Department but your second Department may also have a member of academic staff with responsibilities for dual degree students whom you can contact as well.

Your Personal Tutor will arrange to meet you periodically during your time at University to discuss how you are getting on and if you have any concerns. However, if you are experiencing difficulties, do not wait for your scheduled meeting but do contact your Personal Tutor as they will want to help you to identify ways to help resolve the problem. You can email or phone your Personal Tutor to ask for an appointment or visit your Personal Tutor during their office hours. It is important to meet your Personal Tutor early on in your programme so that you know who to go to if you have a problem. It is vital to inform your Personal Tutor of any changes in your circumstances, especially if these affect your academic work.

Remember, your Personal Tutor is not just there to help resolve issues but to support you in reaching your full potential and making the most out of your experience here so be proactive and make the most of your meetings.