FAQs about Erasmus+ and Brexit

An EU flag

Inbound | Outbound

The University of Sheffield highly values its partnerships with European universities and is committed to continuing our exchanges post-Brexit. As the UK has left the European Union with a negotiated deal, the UK will continue to participate in the Erasmus+ programme until the end of our current project, in 2022/23.

Below are a few answers to frequently asked questions that you may find useful.

For general information about Brexit, refer to the University's central Brexit advice and support pages.


Information for students coming to the UK from other countries in the EU/EEA.

As a student from the EU, what documentation do I need to enter the UK?

Students entering the UK will need a valid passport, rather than a national ID card. You can only enter using a national ID card if you have settled or pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme.

If you would feel more comfortable travelling with proof that you are currently studying in the UK, then you can obtain a Certificate of Student Status (Term Time Address) from SSiD. This states the dates you are studying in the UK and your current residence address.

See the full advice currently available from the UK government

Will I still be eligible to receive the Erasmus+ grant after the UK has exited the EU?

On 19 March 2019 the European Commission adopted a Contingency Regulation to avoid disruption for those currently on a or due to be on a mobility at the point of the UK’s exit from Europe.

This means any students who are already undertaking a mobility or will be undertaking a mobility in the future under a valid exchange agreement will be able to continue with their mobility until the planned end date, and receive any agreed funding from their home university.

Will I have to pay fees for my study period at the University of Sheffield?

The University of Sheffield is committed to continuing exchanges with our European partners, no matter what effects Brexit may have. We will continue with to host inbound exchange students with waived tuition fees.

If there is a change in the future to tuition fees for exchange students, this will be communicated to partner universities and exchange students as soon as possible.

Will I be able to apply for a place to study at the University of Sheffield during the 2021/22 academic year?

The University of Sheffield will be able to continue with European exchanges as normal in the 2021/22 academic year, under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement.

The application cycle for 2021/22 will open on 01 March, and we look forward to welcoming exchange students in the next academic year.

Your home Erasmus+ coordinator will also be able to answer some questions about Sheffield.


Information for students going from the University of Sheffield to another university in the EU/EEA.

Will I still be able to go abroad under the Erasmus+ programme during 2021/22?

The University of Sheffield will be able to continue with European exchanges as normal in the 2021/22 academic year, under the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement.

Does my nationality affect whether I am eligible for the Erasmus+ grant?

A student’s eligibility for the grant is dependant on the country the sending institution is in, rather than an individual’s nationality.

This means that once the University of Sheffield's current Erasmus project has concluded, no students would be eligible for the Erasmus+ grant, regardless of their individual nationality.

The University is currently looking at what funding is available for students going abroad in the 2021/22 academic year.

Will I be eligible to receive any funding for my period abroad?

Students who are normally eligible for funding from Student Finance, either a tuition loan, or a maintenance loan, or both, are still eligible to receive these for a period abroad in 2020/21.

Students who normally eligible for the Sheffield Bursary scheme are still eligible to receive this during a period abroad in 2020/21.

Sheffield Students are also eligible to apply for Financial Support whilst they are abroad if they encounter unexpected financial hardship due to unforeseen circumstances.

As ever, we strongly recommend that students plan their budget before they go abroad to ensure they will have sufficient funds. Use our money tools to help you with your budgeting.

I am currently abroad - is there anything I need to do concerning my immigration status?

For any students who are currently abroad, we advise that you check the FCO webpage for your host country for the most up to date information.

You should also check the Embassy website of your host country for any specific rules that may apply to you in that country.

You should also check the Government 'Living in' guides for more specific advice about your host country.

For any students who are currently on work placements, we recommend that you check the above webpages regularly in case there are changes to the laws, and if you need to apply for a visa for the remainder of your period abroad.

At the end of transition period, will I need to get a new or different kind of travel insurance, or will the University policy still cover me?

The University of Sheffield travel insurance team have confirmed that any current and future insurance policies for students studying or working in the EU will remain valid, and students do not need to take out additional policies. For full details, refer to the Insurance page.

All students must apply for the University insurance policy before they travel abroad, as part of their risk assessment.

Any current European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) remain valid until their expiration date. When applying for a new card you will receive a GHIC. 
Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are no longer covered under the EHIC/GHIC, and students in these countries will need to apply for their own health insurance.

The NHS has country guides to healthcare in other countries inside the European Economic Area (EEA).

A world-class university – a unique student experience

Sheffield is a research university with a global reputation for excellence. We're a member of the Russell Group: one of the 24 leading UK universities for research and teaching.