Eleanor L Jones
More than Methane: Linking geomorphology and biogeochemistry to understand biogas emissions from two wetlands in Svalbard
PhD research student
Eleanor graduated from the University of Bristol in 2015 with an MSci in Environmental Geoscience with Study Abroad; the year abroad was spent at the University of Oslo and the University Centre in Svalbard. Eleanor did her lab-based Masters project under the supervision of Jon Telling in the Bristol Glaciology Centre, focussing on H2 generation from subglacial abrasion. She is a member of the UK Polar Network Committee.
The coastal Arctic is very sensitive to oceanic warming, which makes it an important early warning system for the response of permafrost to climate change. The aim of this project is to improve our understanding of greenhouse gas emissions from a changing permafrost landscape, through a study of sediment provenance, depositional history and in-situ biogeochemical processes. In conjunction with the EU-funded LowPerm project, the focus is on wetlands, with contrasting depositional environments on the western coast of Spitsbergen.
The primary objectives of Eleanor’s NERC-funded PhD, supervised by Prof Andy Hodson (Sheffield), Dr Steve Thornton (Sheffield), Dr Kelly Redeker (York) and Dr James Chong (York), are to:
- Determine biogeochemical controls on greenhouse gas production in permafrost wetlands, from measurements of pore water chemistry, dissolved gas evolution and sediment geochemistry in core samples;
- Ascertain the sedimentology and rates of sediment accumulation in the wetlands;
- Compare in-situ greenhouse gas fluxes to fluxes from microcosm experiments, to investigate the feasibility of using microcosm experiments to predict landscape-scale greenhouse gas emissions
Publications and Other Outputs
- Telling, J, Boyd, ES, Bone, N, Jones, EL, Tranter, M, MacFarlane, JW, Martin, PG, Wadham, J, Larmarche-Gagon, G, Skidmore, ML, Hamilton, T, Hill, E, Jackson, M & DA, Hodgson (2015) ‘Rock comminution as a source of hydrogen for subglacial ecosystems’. Nature Geoscience, vol 8., pp. 851-855
- Mallon, G, Hodson, A, Christiansen, H, Thornton, S, Yde, J, Finster, K, Nowak, A, Jones, EL (2015) Poster: ‘LowPerm: quantifying thaw-driven biogas production and nutrient export from Eurasian Arctic lowlands’, UK Arctic Science Conference 2015, Sheffield