Remediation technologies, risk assessment, organic contaminants, biodegradation, monitored natural attenuation, microbial population responses to environmental contamination
Visiting Professor of Environmental Biotechnology
The Sirius Group
Red Hill House
Telephone: +44 (0)1244 689 309
Fax: +44 (0)191 378 1537
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- BSc, Applied Biology, University of Bath
- PhD, Environmental Microbiology, University of Warwick
- Chartered Biologist
- Member of the Institute of Biologists
- Member of the Society for Brownfield Risk Assessment
Phil has almost 30 years experience in contaminant fate, risk assessment, and the application of environmental technology, including remediation of contaminated soil and groundwater and the treatment of effluent water and industrial solid waste streams. One continual theme throughout his career has been the opportunity to participate in research projects and translate the results of these into real-world applications.
Following his Ph.D. Phil worked with Shell Research in the UK for around 6 years before moving to Shell Internationale Petroleum Maatschappij in The Netherlands where he spent over 4 years as a technical adviser on environmental technologies to Shell´s businesses world-wide. Returning to the UK, he joined ICI Technology, working in a similar role. In 2002 Phil moved to ESI to take up the post of Technical Director with particular responsibility for work involving contaminated site evaluation, risk assessment, contaminant biodegradation, (bio-)remediation technologies and monitored natural attenuation.
Since June 2007, Phil has been Technical Director for Contaminated Land at the Sirius group, one of the UK’s leading companies in the area of contaminated land consultancy and remediation contracting.
Current research interests
- Fate and monitored natural attenuation of organic contaminants in soil and groundwater
- Remediation, particularly of petroleum hydrocarbons, phenols and chlorinated organics
- Microbial population responses to environmental contamination
- Human health and water environment risk assessment
Selected external activities
- Member and past chairman, CL:AIRE Technology and Research
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Yorkshire Contaminated Land Forum
- Involvement in a diverse range of teaching and research projects at the University of Sheffield and other universities